Pre bottling filter recommendation.

whiskeytango

We haven't fully figured that out yet but were planning to use a small plate filter for all spirits (non chill) including white spirits, vodka, gin, aged whiskey, etc. If you are looking for minimum filtration, some bottler fillers have a filter built in like XPressfll. We have the same questions so we are interested to see the responses.

County Seat

We always run the 5 & .5 micron filters in series on our bottling line, with the exception of our cream liqueur product. All other products, including vodka, gin, white whiskey....all of that goes across the bottling line in that filtering process.

Cheers,

McKee

• 2 weeks later...

To remove sediment pre bottling I just use a 10" home water line filter with removable cartridges. You can choose different pass filters from 35 micron down to .5 I believe. You can get triclamp fittings that screw into the npt fittings.

This is the cheapest way to do it. A plate filter is obviously better but exponentially more money. The sediment filter cans are cheap enough to have one for each product you make to minimize any flavor contamination from other products.

They are hdpe I believe, so I wouldn't use until you've proofed to bottling strength if you're worried about leeching.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

County Seat

We always run the 5 & .5 micron filters in series on our bottling line, with the exception of our cream liqueur product. All other products, including vodka, gin, white whiskey....all of that goes across the bottling line in that filtering process.

Cheers,

McKee

John, picking this up on an old thread, but where did you get these filters and the housing?

John,

I haven't had too much experience with filtering over the years. Until making hooch I was mostly just doing bag filtering....so sorry, I can't help on the Pressure Leaf filters.

However, as to your question about the Shelco Filters:

• 5 micron = MPA5.0-10s6s
  • .45 micron = MPA0.45-10s6s

Cheers,

McKee

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Geek,

Our Enolmaster uses a vacuum pump to pull from the source tank, through the filters and the filler heads.

Our larger line uses a centrifugal to push the spirits through the filters and on to the filler system.

Our barrel/filter pump system, uses an AOD to pull from the source barrel, through the filters and then on to the destination tank.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Cheers,

McKee

Geek,

Our Enolmaster uses a vacuum pump to pull from the source tank, through the filters and the filler heads.

Our larger line uses a centrifugal to push the spirits through the filters and on to the filler system.

Our barrel/filter pump system, uses an AOD to pull from the source barrel, through the filters and then on to the destination tank.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Cheers,

McKee

Hi McKee,

What brand AOD pump are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

Is .5 micron necessary? Thats nearly microbial, 1 micron has been traditionally called a polishing filter in winemaking, as it gets it to crystal clear. Is there any need to go tighter? Thanks

The pressure leaf filter, that uses DE, correct?

McKee,

I really don't know for sure, I meant to pose it more as a question, so no worries maybe it is overkill, maybe it isnt. Cant see it hurting, right?

John O.,

As I understand it, most if not all leaf filters use DE. So the disposal of DE can be a challenge. Additionally, your operator's safety needs to be considered, as the dry DE can cause significant lung damage over prolonged exposure. There may be regulations regarding its use, I don't know.

• 5 months later...

In our experience, what John is suggesting is on-target, 5 micron for the big stuff, at least .5 micron to 'polish'. You can do a larger/higher micron filter, but your spirit will be hazy (or less sparkly). Put them on a shelf next to chill filtered product and it'll look inferior. Just our observations.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...