Why did my copper go silvery blue all of the sudden?

Rum

I was in the distillery on Saturday to check on fermentations and everything looked normal. I come in this morning (Monday) and most of my copper has gone silvery blue! The still, column and much of the copper piping all turned. They seem to clean up fairly easily but I'd like to figure out what the heck caused it.

Any ideas?

post-106-1239629784_thumb.jpg

post-106-1239629797_thumb.jpg

post-106-1239629809_thumb.jpg

I was in the distillery on Saturday to check on fermentations and everything looked normal. I come in this morning (Monday) and most of my copper has gone silvery blue! The still, column and much of the copper piping all turned. They seem to clean up fairly easily but I'd like to figure out what the heck caused it.

Any ideas?

I know this may sound silly... bt are you sure its notjust the reflection of all that blue around the still?

I have noticed sometimes when i have the top off my still ( i have an alambic pot still) and its leaning against a blue plastic pallet divider, that the blue reflects back onto the copper and makes it look all gross.

try covering all that blue in the background with a bedsheet or something and see if you still notice it.

I know this may sound silly... bt are you sure its notjust the reflection of all that blue around the still?

I have noticed sometimes when i have the top off my still ( i have an alambic pot still) and its leaning against a blue plastic pallet divider, that the blue reflects back onto the copper and makes it look all gross.

try covering all that blue in the background with a bedsheet or something and see if you still notice it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that is not it. A picture doesn't convey the coloration too well. There are some parts of the piping that turned silvery blue right next to parts that didn't change at all. I also polished up part of the column and it looks normal again.

It must have been something in the air. The pipes on the ceiling have even gone bluish. I have had some foul odors come up out of the drain on occasion. Maybe something came up from there on Sunday. I need to have a trap put in.

I also put a new pump in my sulfuric acid drum on Friday. It is not sealed like it normally is. Possibly it heated up over the weekend and put some gas in the air???

I am hesitant to polish everything up again until I solve the problem.