spirit run

Shindig

I've heard no higher than 50% ABV. We are typically in the 30-35% range. I've done higher than that but never over 50% ABV. I know of at least one distillery that is doing much, much higher than that for redistilling NGS for gin with direct element heat. They didn't seem to think it was an issue but I wouldn't do it.

Depending on the parameters of your mash and the way you strip, you shouldn't need to dilute too much to get it down to a reasonable ABV for a spirit fun if you are trying to preserve flavor.

also keep in mind for whiskey the need to distill below 80% ABV. that often forces us to dilute down to 35% ABV for the spirit run, but that will also be still dependent. safety is less the issue: keep in mind the need to work with high proof source materials for specialties like absinthe, often 70% ABV or more in the pot mixed with the botanicals.

It's a question of economy and safety more than anything. The higher the starting charge, the lower the flash point yet the better the yield. Good practices reduce risk. Proper HVAC, explosion proof pumps, keeping your condenser working hard, always inspecting for vapor leaks can make the environment quite safe, yet there will always be a risk when ethanol vapor mixes with air, particularly at the very beginning of your run. Accidents don't occur when everything is doing it's job, but you have to be prepared for unexpected failure be it operator or machinery.

http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Diluting_the_still_charge/index.htm

We dilute our feints down to 24-27% abv well before charging our spirit still. The low wines are usually 22-25%. An oily slick floats on top of both the low wines and the feints and we never pull the top inch of either into the spirit still.