proper time to approach a dist.

I come from a 3 tier state. One of my first priorities was to look at the distributors and find out what they could do for me and what they needed from me to make a happy and lasting relationship.

I haven't been speaking to the distributor much over the last few months. They know what I'm going to do once I'm open, but until I'm open there is very little else worth talking about.

What sales stream is legal in your state?

Is it 3 tier? Can you do tastings in the distillery, can you retail in the distillery? Depends on so many variables and how much time, experience and capital you have. What are you selling? What makes it different, has it won awards? What will make the consumer buy your product over another? What's the story? What's your capacity? How much money can you spend to support the marketing efforts with the distributor.

What was your vision in the business plan? Time equals money, distributors do not look at start ups as their newest, future, best buddy, of course if you got the cash, you can always buy friends. It's all about the money; quality, taste are closer to the end than the beginning.

When you have enough experience to answer the above questions, a proven product, capacity, and scalability then seek distribution. I'm in a control state and distribution is a royal pain, it took 8 months to get our product on the shelves, and I had no idea at the huge cost it would take on me personally and financially.

• 1 month later...

i guess i should have been more specific on what i was asking

"how is the best way to reach distributors"

something we have been trying is to reach retailers to tell them about our product and then telling distributors we have these people ready to take our product. so far its a direction. so if anybody has suggestions on other ways to get craft spirits on shelves please post

and thanks for the last post Appalachian mountain spirits i now see what you mean about the money being closer to the end than the beginning!!!

California is a major pain for distillers to get started. I would look for type 18 wholesalers in your area also known as cash and carry's. They are similar to a Costco for liquor stores and restaurants. Some of the type 18's can deliver. You'd pretty much be on the hook for selling it, and then directing your customers to the type 18's.

In San Diego we actually have a couple new distributors that concentrate on only craft spirits. That's the good news. The bad news is that they don't have any relationships built with the bars and restaurants because they are too new.

In Illinois, they require you to have at least one distributor on board in order to obtain your state permit. Many of the distributors will allow you to provisionally list them for that purpose, however.

• 1 year later...