FedEx packaging

ny_spirits

When we ship fedex, we use Spirited Shipper packaging, which has the benefit of being pre-approved by fedex. However, it is not great for bottles that are not standard wine bottles, and it is expensive. So I am looking for alternatives. We mainly are shipping saverglass bottles - Neos 750ml and 375ml and Belissima 375ml. Any ideas regarding packaging alternatives would be greatly appreciated. I would even be willing to have something custom made, but I am not even sure where to go to get custom packing made.

Thanks!

Sarah

Harvest Spirits

We've run into this same problem with some of our taller bottles or wider bottles. We've had custom made packaging - without styrofoam. The inserts are rolled up corrugated. We have boxes that fit one or two bottles, and boxes that fit up to six bottles - with separators for empty spaces, and three bottle carriers that convert to shippers. On the West Coast we used Box USA/International Paper which had some creative solutions. I'm sure there are similar box companies all around the country. If you have custom made boxes, you'll need to order enough to bring down the unit cost. We also bought pre-made packaging (with styrofoam inserts) from Coastal Products in Sonoma, CA when we suddenly had a bottle that didn't fit our other boxes.

A custom solution may not be too bad, but the spirited shipper is hard to beat. We've had six packs quoted several ways by several box makers. The closest in price to the spirited shipper was a box with a 2" "air cell" around all six bottles...at about the same price as the spirited shipper in 500 qty, but it does not have good protection above and below like the spirited shipper does.

We already have the product packed in six packs, and it's not easy to re-use those boxes once the product is unpacked, so we've looked at adding an outer box and corner blocks. The corner blocks are $0.16 each, and you need 8 of them ($1.28), and the outer box is about $2.30, so it's already more expensive than the spirited shipper (at 500 units).

(Will mimes the "box," shrugs and says: "there's no way out..."

Have you tried the U-line catalog. www.uline.com Ocassionally they run inventory clearence with free shipping that is hard to pass up. Surprisingly large quantities at times. Or you can call and ask if something is hanging around and cut a deal. Always check for compliance (with Fedex) before purchasing.

Bob