Various Types of Rye

HedgeBird

I am curious if anyone can offer some insight on the various styles of rye flour available. Can anyone offer some details on the differences between the styles, personal preferences, or what impact the various styles would have on your mash/fermentation if any? Impact on flavor, yeast encapsulation, yield, etc. Cheers!

--Various Styles I have Seen--

White Rye Flour

Medium Rye Flour

Dark Rye Flour

Pumpernickel Rye Flour

Medium Rye Meal Flour

My comments come from baking a lot of bread...

Dark Rye flours tend to be whole grain flours, versus light or white rye which has the bran and germ removed (analogous to whole wheat flour vs white flour). If you are used to whole grains, go dark rather than light or white.

Pumpernickel should refer to the baking style and not the flour itself. I would confirm if it is just whole coarse ground rye. I've seen specially made "pumpernickel flours" that have had additives like cocoa, molasses, and caramel color already incorporated for ease of use - you probably don't want to be using that.

If you are interested in using a whole grain unmalted rye, if the pumpernickel doesn't have any additives, it's probably the closest you'll get. It should have a course grind which you might prefer, if you want finer - I'd ask the manufacturer, but the medium rye meal should be that.

HedgeBird Are you buying directly from a farmer or a mill?

I have been using local "conventional" Rye but would like to try out some different varieties as well as malts. Also heirloom could be interesting

I'm itching to get down and see your distillery here one day soon, I grew up in White Haven, Pa in the Poconos, love seeing distilleries popping up in PA

Currently we are buying from a mill and its conventional rye as well. I have talked with some local farmers about planting for us, and eventually I think we will move that way. As we don't currently mill out own grain, part of this post is trying to understand what all would be involved with cleaning, filtering and milling on our own..

Just let me know if your ever in the area, or want to plan a trip! Would love to give ya the nickle tour and chat whiskey anytime.

In your area you can buy Rye flour of about any sort from Snavelys mill, the closer you get to whole grain the stronger the rye flavor will be, plus the harder to handle the mash will be.

First came across this on Chuck Cowdery's blog: http://farnorthspirits.com/news/2015/3/30/minnesota-will-own-rye

Not sure what kinds of varieties they're currently working with, but if I'm from PA or MD (and I am!), that's a shot across the bow in terms of appropriating the history and mantle of rye for themselves. Maybe get the ag folks at Penn State on the line and see what kind of grant proposal you can work up?