Hunter Distillery, Australia

Hi,

My name is Richard Morgan, and I am the Distiller at Hunter Distillery, in Rothbury, NSW Australia.

We produce Organically Certified Vodka, Gin and Schnapps. Just laid down our first second year of Fine Grape Brandy (can't say Cognac anymore). Absinthe is on the way.

I am an active member of the Institute of Brewers and Distillers, and very interested in getting the US slant on the industry.

Cheers,

rich..

Welcome! Just started actively following the forums myself a couple days ago.

We've considered an organic offering here, but will probably do it in limited production. It can be difficult for us to simultaneously embrace the local farmer and organic grain - supply issues. We're trying to use grain solely from the county we are located in, which is a large wheat producer. Not in production yet, we've just received our license, but we're having some moderate difficulty simply sourcing wheat, let alone considering an organic. Finding a local mill will be another story altogether.

Howdy from Maine Rich. Glad to see you here. I'm trying to do part of our products organic. It's tough sourcing the ingredients since I also want all of the ingredients to be Maine grown.

Jonathan

Hi,

My name is Richard Morgan, and I am the Distiller at Hunter Distillery, in Rothbury, NSW Australia.

We produce Organically Certified Vodka, Gin and Schnappes. Just laid down our first second year of Fine Grape Brandy (can't say Cognac anymore). Absinthe is on the way.

I am an active member of the INstitute of Brewers and Distillers, and very interested in getting the US slant on the industry.

Cheers,

rich..

Rich,

I've worked in Australia as a brewer and found a vast selection of domestic malts and fermenatables that I long to distill here in the USA. The Australian malting companies make allot of products for the export market that will knock your socks off!

Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Donald R Outterson

We've considered an organic offering here, but will probably do it in limited production. It can be difficult for us to simultaneously embrace the local farmer and organic grain - supply issues. We're trying to use grain solely from the county we are located in, which is a large wheat producer. Not in production yet, we've just received our license, but we're having some moderate difficulty simply sourcing wheat, let alone considering an organic. Finding a local mill will be another story altogether.

Yep, its bloody tough sourcing organic feedstock. You should live in a country thats coming out of a 6 year drought. We had contracts on two organic growers for 300 tonne organic A1 Hard wheat, both planted in June, and lost the whole crop. There is no scarcity of organic grain here during good times, but at the momement its fetching crazy prices. We are lucky in that we use wheat, I know some mates of mine in the organic beer business can not get any 6 row whatsoever.

But its worth the effort !