WARNING: Oak Wood Barrel Co.

MadMacaw

Forumites,

I have received reports regarding Oak Wood Barrel Co. One of our clients ordered and paid them in June with the company guaranteeing delivery in July. They still have yet to receive their order. They have been contacted numerous times via E-Mail and landline. The client has been given a lot of excuses the few times they could actually reach them. Now they no longer answer their phone but instead have a service that when you call they tell you that they are in a meeting. They have yet to be called back.

At the minimum they are operating their business poorly, at the maximum this could be a scam.

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are definitely a scam. I have talked to several groups who have been waiting on orders from them for weeks. They are using johnny-on-the-spot customer service to string everyone along so no one blows the whistle too soon and they can keep bringing in money for as long as possible.

If you google any of the folks from their website, NONE of them have any history other than what is on the site itself. Total shysters.

Unfortunately with distilling being a booming industry it's going to draw in the smooth talking storm chasers and the shady crooks. Everyone should be a little cautious when dealing with newly emerging suppliers.

They are still "active"

I received a very quick reply to an email I sent.

My buddy ordered 30 gallons a while back from this company and was happy with the barrels. He sold me the barrels after his use and the quality was pretty good. Don't know whats going on now , must be a supply issue.

Pardon my skepticism, but I cant help notice that you have no other posts on this forum and that your account was created less than two weeks ago. This leads me to think that your post may not be entirely truthful and that you may be part of the scammers running this site. Feel free to prove me wrong.

• Thanks 1

I created my account on this forum just so that I could respond to this post. I do believe this "company" is a scam.

Thank you MadMacaw for starting this thread. When I read your post I was actually in the process of finalizing an order with them. After finding this thread I attempted to call our "salesman" but the line we always used was disconnected. We did eventually get a response by email saying there was a supply chain issue and they were going to work with us. When it became clear we were not going to pay upfront they stopped responding. I was really lucky to find your post, thank you very much.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Has anyone had any further experience of these guys?

We placed an order in July '15 which was never fulfilled and we have been waiting over 6 months on a refund. To me they are a total fraud outfit who continue to try and sell products that dont exist.

• 4 months later...

We also fell victim to these clowns, and started the process of chasing down the money. I'll give you the entire timeline and email correspondence, if only to see how they operate. When we get resolution, I'll detail how that went down.

First, an email from my partner, who found them online and did a pricing inquiry back in February 2016, without finding this ADI thread

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 4:15 PM, Jason wrote:
Hi there,
Please tell me more about minimums, and shipping of your 15gal French barrels. Looking for Medium+ (very light +), and toasted heads.
Thanks!
Jason.

They replied a couple of days later, and my partner forwarded it over to me in March 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Jason wrote:

Begin forwarded message:
Date: February 27, 2016 at 1:34:52 PM EST
Subject: Re: 15gal French oak barrels

Pricing update. Some of our new and used oak barrel prices have changed: 

See pricing below for new and used American white oak bourbon barrels. Also, see char and toast levels below. Yes, we ship to any place in North and South America, Canada, Australia and parts of Asia.

Additional Discounts will be applied on orders of #5 Barrels or more. We'll apply discounts and/or price breaks on each barrel or total cost. 

We also have freshly dumped barrels that were used for Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve and many other popular brands of bourbon and whiskey.
White Oak Bung Included with all barrels.
Prices for New American Oak

5 Gallon  - ( 100.00 US $ ) – In Stock *Low Stock

8 Gallon  - ( 105.00 US $ ) – In Stock

10 Gallon - ( 110.00 US $ ) – In Stock *Most popular

15 Gallon - ( 120.00 US $ ) – In Stock

23 Gallon - ( 125.00 US $ ) – Low Stock   

30 Gallon - ( 180.00 US $ ) – Low Stock

53 Gallon - ( 210.00 US $ ) – In Stock *Most popular 

60 Gallon - ( 225.00 US $ ) – In Stock

80 Gallon - ( 255.00 US $ ) – Low Stock

Prices for Used American Oak

5 Gallon  - ( 50.00 US $ ) – In Stock 

8 Gallon  - ( 70.00 US $ ) – In Stock

10 Gallon - ( 90.00 US $ ) – In Stock *Most popular

15 Gallon - ( 100.00 US $ ) – In Stock

23 Gallon - ( 105.00 US $ ) – In Stock  

30 Gallon - ( 110.00 US $ ) – In Stock

53 Gallon - ( 120.00 US $ ) – In Stock *Most popular 

60 Gallon - ( 150.00 US $ ) – In Stock

80 Gallon - ( 170.00 US $ ) – In Stock

The price of New French Oak Wood barrels starts from: 

5 Gallon - ( 160.00 US $ ) – In Stock

8 Gallon - ( 175.00 US $ ) – In Stock

10 Gallon - ( 210.00 US $ ) – Call for availability

15 Gallon - ( 220.00 US $ ) – In Stock

23 Gallon - ( US $ ) – In Stock.  Call for pricing

30 Gallon - ( 310.00 US $ ) – In Stock

53 Gallon - ( US $) – In Stock. Call for pricing

60 Gallon - ( US $) – Call for availability and pricing

80 Gallon - ( US $) – In Stock. Call for pricing

French oak –or- ( European oak only if requested).

White Oak Bung Included with all barrels.

Oak Wood Options: American oak, French oak, Chinkapin oak, Sessile oak, Appalachian oak, Hungarian oak, Eastern European oak.

Our stock is very limited and constantly changing. Email order@oakwoodbarrels.com for more information.

Oak Barrel Char and Toast levels – No additional charge:

Light - Mild aromas; fresh vanilla flavors

Medium - Toasty aromas; more complex flavors 

Medium Long - Slightly spicy; longer toast over a lower fire 

Medium Plus - More intense vanilla & spice; rich flavors 

Heavy - Smoky, peppery; sweet roasted flavors (coffee)

Toast levels – charred to your liking. Request Toasted heads at no additional charge. The various levels of charring have different effects on the compounds and so flavors the charred oak imparts to the maturing spirit. Heavy charring will cause cracks in the surface of the oak giving it an alligator skin-like appearance.

Thanks - Robert Jasin

OakWoodBarrels.com,   Sales Staff
photo    Email: info@oakwoodbarrels.com
Address: Florence, KY

Upcoming Easter Sale!    

Just over a week ago (July 15, 2016), I pulled the trigger on ordering some barrels for a small-batch R&D experiment

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Brian wrote:
We are interested in ordering the following:

15 gallon - French Oak w/ Medium Plus - qty 5

Please advise payment terms, qty pricing, ship methods/costs, fulfillment timeframe, and how to proceed with order.

Within a day, follow-up from OWB

On Jul 16, 2016, at 12:28 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:

Hi Brian,

Sure, I can have the order submitted today and get the barrels shipped on Monday. (5) - 15 gallon - French Oak w/ Medium Plus char. Total Shipping of around $45.00. I need the full shipping address before I can prepare and have the order submitted.

Also, is this for our New or Used French oak?

Thanks

Robert

photo         OakWoodBarrels.com
Sales Staff
sales@oakwoodbarrels.com • Florence, KY • oakwoodbarrels.com 
      Big sale: Used 53 Gallon American white oak - $105.0015% Off All Used Barrels. 

Order placed July 16, 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Brian wrote:
Thanks. This is for new FO, w med+ char.

Please advise total cost (pro forms invoice fine) prior to shipment, here is the address:

[...]

A Square invoice was issued ($1000 for five barrels) and I paid it, then

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 10:24 AM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:
Payment received order being prepared for delivery.  I'll keep you posted.

Please note: Our phone lines are down this morning and should be back up by noon today.

Thanks

Sales Staff
(800)-631-4337 • sales@oakwoodbarrels.com • Florence, KY • oakwoodbarrels.com 

A couple of days later, I hadn't heard any details of the shipment, and was expecting them any day

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Brian wrote:
Please let me know if you have freight window or tracking on that shipment. 

Need to staff for receiving even though it's a small shipment.

Then it started getting weird.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:58 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:
The driver's name is Paco his truck cell direct number is 562-246-9598 .  You can give him a call or text if he's driving and he'll provide an eta. 

All that may be required when they get there is a clear area to unload the barrels. The truck is equipped with a forklift.

Thanks

Sales Staff

And 60 seconds later, another follow-up email

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:
Just checked and he's still on the road.

Sales Staff

Okay, I'll talk to Paco then. I started Googling and found this ADI thread. I'm not broadcasting my suspicions yet, but did hint that I was googling phone numbers.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Brian wrote:
Thanks. Called and left a message. If you can give me the day, even, that would be great.

CA number surprised me, had to google it.

Then no useful info in his reply

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:01 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:
Ok thanks. I'll also keep you posted.

Thanks

Sales Staff

End of the day my time, and I'm really getting nervous.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Brian wrote:
Thanks. Just left second message. Next time you speak with Paco I need estimate date and time.

Twenty-two minutes later, promise of a BOL and that Paco would call me "for sure"

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:
I can get a copy of the BOL and send over.  Tried calling the driver and I got no answer as well. He may be driving but he'll return the call for sure. 

Sales Staff

I need to talk to a human now.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Brian wrote:
Can you please furnish a customer service number? I have a few questions about the shipment. If we had a copy of the BOL, I could take most of it from there.

He points to the 800 number, which I had called.

On Jul 20, 2016, at 4:56 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:

Are you able to connect to 800-631-4337.? They have been doing some troubleshooting to the line yesterday morning and some calls are starting to get through. 

Sales Staff

I pushed again for a direct number.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016, Brian wrote:
Sounds good. If you could also furnish a phone number for your business that would be great, and may cut down on the correspondence here.

Okay, really quite worried. I wound up sleuthing addresses and calling mailbox service company.

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016, Brian wrote:
"The owner of this system has not yet activated" is what I get when I call your 800-number.

Further, the address on your square invoice is an office park, but the suite number is not noted. There is a mailbox service at the address, but you are not their customer, according to the young man I spoke with there just now. 

If I do not get a refund, credible bill of lading, or speak to the driver in the next 12 hours, we are going to have some serious issues. "Kicking the can" via email is not sufficient.

Please take an action toward resolution.

NOW he's giving some detail, but disregards the fact that "Robert" signed both the 2/27 and 7/16 emails. But "requested a full refund be sent back".

On Jul 20, 2016, at 7:35 PM, OakWoodBarrels.com Sales <sales@oakwoodbarrels.com> wrote:

I'm actually a sales rep located in California. I'm not the owner but I requested a full refund be sent back. The company as far as I know switched over to this number only less than a week ago.  The driver is a private hired on operator  that makes most deliveries for the company.

The address listed on the invoice should've been updated

Sales Staff

My polite reply, noting that the refund hadn't been processed.

On Thursday, July 21, 2016, Brian wrote:
Thank you. I appreciate your candor in disclosing those details. 

I have not seen the notification from Square. We also use this service, so I am familiar with how refunds are issued. If I do not see the notification within six hours, I am opening a case with my card company. I will not be driving the bus at that point.

Thank you.

//

At this point I held true to my word and opened a fraud case with my card company. Square (their payment provider) only responds to requests from card companies re disputed charges. It'll be at least 7 days before the case is resolved, but I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing the money back. It's now three days later, no more emails, no phone calls (from "Paco", "Robert", or anybody else), and all I can do is further getting the word out.

In all, I hang my head in shame for falling for this, especially in light of what you all went through AND THEN DOCUMENTED HERE. A little vetting goes a long way, is the lesson.

• 6 months later...

Hi there,

I have not posted in these forums before, as I am a home brewer of beer, but I wanted to mention my experience with Oak Wood Barrels. I can also confirm they are most definitely a scam. I am from the United States, and I did some research into this company and they do not legitimately exist as a physical business entity. The Better Business Bureau has also given them a poor rating for not responding to their contacts. I also investigated the company itself, which supposedly has a head quarters in Ontario, Canada. They do not; however, and by tracing their IP addresses, and looking at their domain registration, I found they are actually located somewhere in Europe. If you contact them, they will respond immediately but note also how they have virtually no contact information on their web page, aside from the one e-mail address. If you investigate their LinkedIn profile, you will see they are very suspect, and all "leaders" of the company have strangely uniform profiles. Also there is a lot of inconsistent information about the company, with wildly different numbers. It is easy to see they are not legitimate if you look into it. Unfortunately I did not look into them ahead of time, and I did fall for their scam because as a home brewer, oak barrels at a good price sounds like an excellent deal. I determined they were a scam after placing my order, but canceled it immediately. They claimed to refund my money, which they did not do, even after several days of waiting, and going back and forth with them via e-mail. Eventually I was forced to get my credit card company involved, and did eventually win a dispute against them to get my money back. But that said, I wanted to post here to warn others of this scam site; you will never receive your order, and might have difficulty getting your money back.

• 4 months later...

Have these guys now changed their name to DirtCheapBarrels.com?

I found them online a while ago and requested some pricing. Got a reply email that I have just realised is exactly the same (format, pricing etc...) as the one posted above by @fending

Bullet dodged I think!

@Coriolis I did a quick check, and it appears that dirtcheapbarrels.com as well as oakwoodbarrels.com are registered through the same domain registrar (Domain Trustees UK Limited). So I am guessing there is a very good chance they are one-in-the-same scammer.

You did dodge a bullet! :)

Cheers!

• Thumbs up 1

I went to the address listed on their website. Here's what I found:

DSCF1238.thumb.jpg.d3000998ab3dd9259b3e3b2d67b2dbb5.jpg

There were no businesses here except for Ralph's Courthouse Classic Hot Dogs. Ralph would not sell me a barrel—although I offered him a very good price. He just has hot dogs. I would go back to Ralph for hot dogs, but I would think twice about buying barrels from a company that does business from Courthouse Square in Santa Rosa.

• Thumbs up 1

lol @MichaelAtTCW thanks for the picture and follow-up! I believe this proves that the suspicion is true.

So anyone who reads this thread, please beware of dirtcheapbarrels.com! They are otherwise known as oakwoodbarrels.com, and both are not legit! All you will get for your money is endless empty e-mails, no barrels, and not even a tasty hotdog!

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, MDH said:

The location on their website shows several Christian churches, a Church of Scientology, a Chiropractor and a coffee shop at an intersection.

Plus, their linkedin page claims they have 501-1000 employees.

Seems legit.

9999.JPG.7e54f36511d5c5cfe29961e9a5e903cb.JPG

Lol Hopefully that is sarcasm, as they are most definitely not legit, and in fact have conflicting information across their various profiles. We now have multiple confirmations they are a scam, from different sources.

Do not buy from this company, and save yourself some stress and a call to your credit card company to revoke their transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

These bastards. First time I’ve been scammed like this but it looks like the bank is going to give me my $ back. Same story as previously reported by others. All seemed to be well and then they kept kicking the can down the road and then it occurred to me what was happening. I’d still gladly trade my $133 for a new 10 gallon barrel though!

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my barrel from barrel mill out of MN after my debacle with oak wood barrels. The bank gave me money back but dumbass me didn’t request a new card and a week later I had the exact same amount of money ($140) worth of transactions put through on my card. Luckily fraud alert picked up on it. 

By by the way, the barrel from barrel mill looks fantastic and they were great to deal with as well. 

On 11/30/2017 at 6:19 AM, jasonk said:

I just got my barrel from barrel mill out of MN after my debacle with oak wood barrels. The bank gave me money back but dumbass me didn’t request a new card and a week later I had the exact same amount of money ($140) worth of transactions put through on my card. Luckily fraud alert picked up on it. 

By by the way, the barrel from barrel mill looks fantastic and they were great to deal with as well. 

My experience with Barrel Mill as well, great to work with.