Aspiring Distiller from Nor.Cal.

Hi All,

So my story is probably not too different than many of the introductions here. I'm toying with the idea of opening a craft distillery in Northern California, Nevada, or Southern Oregon. The impulsive side of my brain has been obsessed with starting a distillery for couple of years, and the rational side of my brain (and responsible father side) is just starting to catch up and putting pen to paper to flesh out the details and see if this might actually work.

For many years I have been fascinated by fermentation, distillation and spirits. I’ve been an on-and-off home brewer for a very long time. I am familiar with distillation in theory and in practice (I am a chemist by education). Although I have a lot to learn about running a business and a micro distillery.

Bourbon is what I am passionate about, and is the focus of what I want to do. But I have a few other ideas about products that will not take so long to bring to market (not thinking about marketing “moonshine” though).

I’m putting together a preliminary business plan for my own proof of concept. Let me know if there are any good exemplar business plans to look at, also a source for ballpark costs of grain handling, mashing, fermenting and distilling equipment. Of course any other advice or resources would be greatly appreciated also.

Best, GJ

Golden Jellyfish.

Great handle mate. I am in the same stage and have been working on a business plan and various studies. I have about 600 hours into it right now. I am about to start the business plan as for now I have just been working on the estimates and cashflows and all that stuff. Good luck to you GJ.

Cheers

Matt

Good Luck to you GJ!

To have one's own distillery and distill the spirit he loves is really the dream for all spirit lovers,isn't it? I do hope this will come true for you soon!

And when it comes to equipment device,just let me know if we can provide any help for you.

Penny

pennyjiang@zjdayu.com