Training

Tesstony

I am a beginner looking for some training on the art of Artisan Distilling. We have what we feel is a terrific idea, a solid business background, and reasonable funds but zero experience as distillers. Other than the still-kits I purchased on the internet how does one get started? I did see one @ MSU in April but have a scheduling conflict.

I am from NY and think with the laws here I might best start by re-packaging an existing product...

Cornell University does a 1 day artisan distilling workshop every fall/winter at their Ag Exp lab in Geneva. That said... get some books and play around. It's a condensed version of the MSU course with some of the same instructors. Also there was a 2 day course given last fall in NH I heard about. Basically they way you learn is read like crazy.

I am a beginner looking for some training on the art of Artisan Distilling. We have what we feel is a terrific idea, a solid business background, and reasonable funds but zero experience as distillers. Other than the still-kits I purchased on the internet how does one get started? I did see one @ MSU in April but have a scheduling conflict.

I am from NY and think with the laws here I might best start by re-packaging an existing product...

Both Christian Carl (through Brewing & Distilling Technologies) and Arnold Holstein (through Bavarian Breweries and Distilleries) offer workshops. Call them- their websites are not always up to date... If you attend the ADI distilling conference (info at www.distilling.com) in April you will see distilling demonstrated and you may be able to get some time for more in depth instruction at Huber Winery & Distillery.

You could also contact a few distilleries doing the kinds of products you're interested in and ask if you could hang around for a day or two.

Jonathan's advice is good but the standard disclaimer applies, if you're not already, you should be aware distilling without a permit is illegal.

http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/potstills/p.../distill101.htm

http://www.brewing-distilling.com/index.html

Good luck!

Dear student,

Decide what type of still (pot or column) and what type of spirit is your focus. Then target a distillery that is closest to your concept, then ask them what they would charge you, to go through a batch with them. The more homework you do before hand the more you will come away with. Decide if the distilling lifestyle works for you and your family, because you will need their support in the days ahead.

Best regards,

Donald R Outterson

• 9 months later...
Both Christian Carl (through Brewing & Distilling Technologies) and Arnold Holstein (through Bavarian Breweries and Distilleries) offer workshops.

http://bavarianbrewerytech.com/potstills/p.../distill101.htm

I've attended the workshop offered by Holstein. The course was held in an operating brew pub / distillery in Flagstaff, AZ. The class was packed, at least 30 people, some from as far away as China. As the lesson progressed via a PowerPoint presentation and hand outs, the crew of the distillery worked in the background producing their prickly pear flavored vodka. The course was mostly note taking, with an up close look at the equipment operating at the end of the second day. Topics covered all stages of the distilling process, for all types of spirits...so nothing was really explored in depth. Highly recommended if you can attend a course like this, they are they best way to get to learn about the equipment and process.

-Scott