Adding base to low wines to prevent esterfication

Pachasius

Some of you add a base to their low wines or final product to prevent esterification of some molecules in the liquid (which happens in an acidic environment), which should result in a smoother final product.

We started to experiment by adding sodium bicarbonate to our low wines and we noticed some improvements in smoothness in our final product.

Do you guys have some tips on what base to use and how long should you let the low wines rest after adding the base, or would it be best to add the base to your final product?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been adding calcium carbonate but only have 1 batch done with that process, still a little early to say anything conclusively. What are your low wines starting at as far as ph, and what are you bringing them up to? Mine start at around 4.5 and ive been buffering to a 5.5.

I wouldn't add anything to your final product, seems like filtering out the base would be semi annoying and im assuming it would have a big effect on your final flavor, but I could totally be missing something here.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of talk about all this recently, sodium bi-carb works but sodium carbonate works faster. Let rest for a few days for creased results seemed to be the consensus but not required. Definitely add to low wines, esterification occurs in reflux and gets mostly discarded as heads... Your cut will decide the amount leaked in. Tackling the cause prior will reduce esterification and thus, less overall heads. The actual route is bacteria in the fermentation if you want to get down with some antibiotics. You don't want be adding stuff post distillation imo.

There is an enormous ongoing thread on the topic on the stilldragon forum I highly suggest reading. It will fill in where I have jumped around