Website Liquor Store Locator - what are folks using?

Lenny

I'm looking to implement a more functional 'where to buy' component of our website - basically a liquor store and bar locator. Anyone have recommendations for a free or reasonably priced embeddable solution that allows the upload (or copy/paste) of excel data, which is then rendered into some sort of list and map component?

What code is your web site written in now? If it's .NET C#, I would simply use Google Maps API coupled with SQL Server for data storage. You can simply insert the location (stores and bars) addresses into your SQL server database and use the Google Maps API to render on a searchable map. You could take it one step further by providing a searchable details list of the addresses in addition to the map.

If none of this makes sense then I would suggest hiring a developer to provide a solution that's within your budget. Just make sure to hire someone who is familiar with your current web site or the code that it uses and the Google API.

Take care,

Shawn Patrick

Insert Distillery Name Here

I follow what you guys are suggesting. There seem to be a number of off-the-shelf solutions out there though, which allow for fairly easy implementation, content management that any non-developer can use, and a pretty display of listings and map location input'able via excel. Just putting out feelers to see if anyone has already put one into use that is the bomb. I've messed with a few options and ran into some annoying shortcomings - either in high annual cost or not enough functionality. Gotta be something out there off-the-shelf that does the trick...

• 3 weeks later...

We are using Blipstar. It's incredibly useful and allows us to provide detailed descriptions of each locations. Costs some money, but so do most good things in life. I have provided a link to the map set up on our website so you can see it in action.

http://www.salishseaorganicliqueurs.com/findus/

http://www.blipstar.com

• 2 weeks later...

TB, I looked at a bunch of solutions, and while I wasn't looking for Facebook functionality, it seems that Bullseye allows for it.

I ended up going with Prolo for a website bar and liquor store locator. I'm really happy with it so far. Their pricing structure makes the most sense for our size ($9/month), adding and managing locations is super fast and easy, customer support is awesome, and implementation into a website is a piece of cake. I'd totally recommend this solution for anyone working towards something like this. Here's how ours came together: http://www.deerhammer.com/liquor-store-locator.html

• 3 weeks later...