Filter press for dewatering

We are currently manufacturing and selling dewatering Mash filters into the distilled spirits market. We've produced spent grain filter cakes with moisture content as low as 20%! This can reduce hauling costs, reduce bacterial growth for longer storage (feed), and can reclaim up to 40% of the water for reuse or recycling. If you would like to discuss feel free to give us a call 845-331-4552 ext. 104 and ask for Scott! www.ErtelAlsop.com
Mash-cake-2_ErtelAlsop.jpgMash-cake_ErtelAlsop.jpgDistilled_Mash_Cake_ErtelAlsop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the Liquid Solid Separator that Russell Finex offers. There are a lot of craft distilleries using them now and they all swear by it.

Or swear at it. I've seen some pretty miserable results from the Finex gear. Make them give you an eval unit and see if it will work on your stillage before dropping cash.

Talked to the guys at Vincent Corporation a few months back, they make some smaller dewatering screw presses. They will rent out a trial unit, which I thought was a good idea, or you can ship down a drum for them to try out. It's a different dewatering approach, as an LSS is a decanter centrifuge and the Vincent CP units are screw presses. However, they were very concerned about dewatering effectiveness post-distillation, and even they thought the centrifuge would be the right approach.

If you could make an LSS half the size, and for half the cost, you'd own the market.

• 2 months later...

Russell Finex we just got a price update. $37,000 with a price increase coming in Feb. Really...... we laughed.

Shame really. When I talked to them at ADI last year, I suggested they needed to come up with a scaled down version for the craft spirits market and they said they were working on it.

After thinking about this, it's a pipe dream I think, I don't see how they can make a smaller unit that will cost considerably less. A unit half the size won't likely cost half as much, and even if it did, lets face it, a $20k entry point is still high. If you have a way to deal with wet waste today, the ROI is probably going to be low.

A possible cost reduction strategy is to use a non-sanitary design for separation of stillage post-distillation. I've got to imagine a good portion of the Finex cost is due to the fact that it's designed for food contact, not waste handling.

With a larger grind (not flour) - the other alternative is a screw press - I've gotten quotes for craft-sized equipment out of Alibaba around $6,500 less freight. I think the Vincent units I mentioned above go for around $10k. Pretty sure they'll put their money where their mouth is when it comes to performance too.

For what it's worth,

I'm running a Russel Finnex L.S.S, I wouldn't be able to run the volume that I am without it. I had a couple issues in the very beginning with screens tearing, But these guys were great to work with and had my problem sorted out pretty quick. I'm running 15,000 gallons a week through it with zero issues. I'd recommend it to anyone.

If anyone would like to come out and see it run, I'd be happy to have you in Fridgid ass Wisconsin.

Nik

• Thumbs up 1

I'm a little late on this but thought I would throw in my two cents.

I was recently at one of my customers in Tennessee that has a Russel. They are very unsatisfied with it.

Have broken multiple screens, etc.

They also told me they have no local rep for the product line so getting technical advice is also a challenge.

If anyone wants to discuss options for this application, I would be glad to help.

Thanks,

Alex

• 2 months later...

Reading through this discussion I would like to add a small comment (justification!) for using the Russell Liquid Solid Separator for dewatering the spent grains. It is a semi-automatic system requiring minimal setup and operator involvement and we have many examples all over the world where customers have benefited from installing them in their process. It cleans up the mash really well, removing most of the water out of the grains (it will get the liquid cleaner than screw presses and is cheaper to run than screw press or evaporator technology). In the early days we did have a few problems with premature failures on the mesh sleeves but this was due to incorrect selection of mesh sleeve - this is resolved now.

We have seen that with those producing larger batches or with multiple stills, the return on investment can be as short as 6 months. In terms of smaller/startup distilleries we have a range of vibratory sieves which are also suitable for this task. It won't be as fast or efficient as the Liquid Solid Separator in removing spent grains, but for a lower budget solution, prices starting from around $5K.

We have our US head office in Charlotte NC (complete with stock machines, parts and test units) and a network of sales support managers and reps across the US so we can support the US market very well.

You can also view another video of Russell's Liquid Solid Separator in action, separating Corn Mash http://www.russellfinex.com/en/demonstr ... corn-mash/.

If anyone wants to talk more about this please do not hesitate to contact us Toll Free: 800 849 9808

For what it's worth,

I'm running a Russel Finnex L.S.S, I wouldn't be able to run the volume that I am without it. I had a couple issues in the very beginning with screens tearing, But these guys were great to work with and had my problem sorted out pretty quick. I'm running 15,000 gallons a week through it with zero issues. I'd recommend it to anyone.

If anyone would like to come out and see it run, I'd be happy to have you in Fridgid ass Wisconsin.

Nik

I would love to see the unit in person.
Where are you located?
Is there a number I could reach you at?
Would you let me take pics of it?
thanks!!
joseph d.
515-559-4879
joseph@dehnerdistillery.com