Contract Distilling

darkchaser

So I have a question about contract distilling. What kind of permit/license does one need in order for someone else to produce their product. Wholesaler permit? What kind of equipment would be at the operating location - basically a warehouse right? Then, it's the operators job to get the product to distributors right?

This is a pretty loose question and it depends how hands on you wish to be. If it is whiskey for instance, are they sending you filled barrels, white dog, product already bottled? A wholesaler permit is the permit a distributor would have. A distributor would only be getting bottled finished goods. If you were taking product in bulk form, you would need a DSP and some sort of bottling equipment and liquid transfer equipment. If you wanted to be a pure marketing company, I suppose you could have the FOB to a distributor be from the actual producer. Hope that helps.

This is a pretty loose question and it depends how hands on you wish to be. If it is whiskey for instance, are they sending you filled barrels, white dog, product already bottled? A wholesaler permit is the permit a distributor would have. A distributor would only be getting bottled finished goods. If you were taking product in bulk form, you would need a DSP and some sort of bottling equipment and liquid transfer equipment. If you wanted to be a pure marketing company, I suppose you could have the FOB to a distributor be from the actual producer. Hope that helps.

That does help, thank you. So if I were getting product already bottled, I would need a wholesaler license - but if I live in a control state, the only establishment I could sell to would be the liquor division? If I were buying bulk and bottling in my building - besides bottling and transfer equipment - what kinds of things would I need to get my basic application approved (at federal level) for a DSP? Would one storage room for the bulk, one room for bottling and labeling, and one room for storage of bottled product be sufficient as far as "layout" goes? Obviously I would need locks on the 3 spaces and maybe signs? Also, sprinklers? And Insurance? On which room? Sorry for so many stupid questions. I've been reading the regs a little bit at a time and not moving on until I fully understand and I haven't quite gotten through them yet. Some clarity would be nice

If you were to look around you could find most of these question are answered in the forums. You still would not need a wholesaler's license, but probably would stick with a DSP. Sprinkler's is a zoning/fire code issue. Do you plan to bottle more than 240 gallons in one room. In a barrel there is an exemption, but everything else counts towards a maximum allowable quantity. Your layout sounds fine but you could do all that in one room is you want to.