Mori Bottle Filler - Questions

SilverLining

Is anyone else out there working with a Mori "Type RI" bottle filler? I'm encountering a few quirks with mine and there is a lack of instruction on the internet and the manual is pretty much a waste of time. My main issues:

How to adjust the filler stopper so that I get a perfect fill of 750 ml per bottle?

How to adjust the floater so that it shuts off the valve at the appropriate level?

How to keep the valve shut? (My gravity-fed system seems to overwhelm it sometimes.)

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Miller

Mike, ours doesn't have the small whole above the outlet hole as shown on your diagram? Is this an upgrade, does this work better than the style we currently have? The small whole makes sence and probably work better and make it much less finicky? -Dave

Mike, ours doesn't have the small whole above the outlet hole as shown on your diagram? Is this an upgrade, does this work better than the style we currently have? The small whole makes sence and probably work better and make it much less finicky? -Dave

I drew that diagram from memory last night, and got the holes reversed! :huh: You should have both holes, just with the positions swapped from the previous diagram. Here it is re-drawn correctly:

e4Gd5MJ.jpg

I decided to take this opportunity to head into work today and do something I've been meaning to for a while: take a video of the Mori Filler in action. Rather than my drawn-out previous explanation I think it will make more intuitive sense to see how the Mori Filler works, and to see exactly how it should fill every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOS_ZK9U08w

As you can see, the liquid level reaches the Level Fill Hole, pauses, then fills to the top of the liquid outlet where it reaches an equilibrium. It will fill to this position every time. The Mori Filler works by creating a seal against the bottle's neck, and then displacing the air inside the bottle with liquid. Once it has displaced all the air it can, it stops filling.

As far as adjusting the level fill height I'll refer to my previous explanation. The fill height is adjusted by moving the bottle up or down relative to the nozzle, which remains stationary. See this diagram for reference:

rKYYkeh.jpg

Finding the right shelf height gets the vast majority of our customers where they need to be in terms of fill level. For some customers, particularly those with oddly shaped bottles, sometimes the perfect fill height is between two shelf levels. For these customers the fix is simple: you can take a couple of c-clamps and attach them to each side of the shelf. Then move the shelf very slightly up or down until you reach the correct fill height, making sure that the shelf itself is level from end-to-end. From there you can leave the c-clamps in place or drill a couple of holes in the shelf and sides to make the adjustment permanent. You're not drilling into anything mission-critical, and there's plenty of space to re-drill if you screw up, so no need to worry.

How to adjust the floater so that it shuts off the valve at the appropriate level?

It works just like a toilet bowl float. If it shuts off the valve too quickly you can bend it upwards. If it doesn't close soone enough you can bend it down. This is the first time I've heard of someone having this issue, though. Give us a call or email when you're able. I'd like to understand exactly what's happening here.

In general, customers find the electronic or pneumatic reservoir level control systems to be vastly more convenient and (perhaps counterintuitively) more simple than the gravity level control.

How to keep the valve shut? (My gravity-fed system seems to overwhelm it sometimes.)

Are you using a pump at all to feed the reservoir? Is your feeding tank pressurized at all? If "no" to both questions, I would look at the float assembly. A small ball at the base seals against a seat to prevent liquid from entering the reservoir when the float is all the way up. Ensure that the ball and seat are smooth, free of debris, burrs, etc. If necessary clean up the ball and the seat to ensure they're fitting together right. If that doesn't do the trick let me know and we'll send you a replacement.

I gotta say, Michael at TCW is one of the main reasons I settled on the Mori in the first place, he is fast, accurate, and detailed with responses!

Thanks very much. It's kind of you to say, but this time I was too fast and not accurate enough. :blink:

• 4 months later...

Hey Fellas,

Hopping on this topic to see if anyone can shed some light on my current situation. We purchased a Mori 6-spout bottle filler and love it. The issue we're having is that to get the correct fill height. We have to raise the shelf high enough that we max out the spring travel on the filler nozzles and the bottle isn't able to rest on the shelf. I attached two pictures...Does any one have any suggestions?

Appreciate the time and advice.

Best.

Bottle Height Issue-2.pdf

Bottle Height Issue.pdf

Hey Jon,

That's not a Mori Filler! :D

It's a "Mori-TEM" filler. As I understand, Mori-TEM is a company started by someone related to the original Mori company – second cousin or something like that. Mori was founded in 1922. Mori-TEM was founded in the 70s. Mori-TEM also makes equipment for the beverage industries.

I'm not sure why Mori-TEM decided to muddy the waters by naming their company very similarly to Mori, other than they wanted to confuse people and gain some market share by trading on the family name's reputation. Maybe they also knew it would make my life more difficult. I sometimes imagine them having a good chuckle over a glass of local Chianti when they realize they're forcing me to ask people, "Is the piece of equipment you're calling about a Mori, or a Mori-TEM?"

Anyway, not to disparage the particular piece of equipment you got. I don't know the ins and outs of the Mori-TEM like I do the Mori Fillers we sell, and so may not be of much help. Looks like you should be able to move the shelf down a bit, no?

• 7 months later...

Hey, 

nice thread......like Jon at Greendoor I've got the mystery (so mysterious i don't even know if it is a mystery)  but equally uselessly manualed mori-tem moderna b6 6 spout gravity filler....

the manual says that fill adjustment is done through spinning a ring nut on the spout but when i spin the thing that i think they mean, nothing happens...

does anyone have any tips.....i will be pm'ing the fella from green door to see if he got sorted....

Cheerio!
Adam

Strathcona Spirits 

for posterity....figured it out, for anyone who finds this in frustration....

-hold the lower pink rubber, twist the upper pink rubber for adjustment.

-counterclockwise allows for more fill....as you twist the top pink while holding the lower pink the nipple will get longer, so it dips deeper and your fill will stop earlier.

-you only need to adjust shelf level if it wont push the nozzle up enough to get proper flow.

Adam

• Thumbs up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/29/2016 at 6:14 PM, adamwest said:

for posterity....figured it out, for anyone who finds this in frustration....

-hold the lower pink rubber, twist the upper pink rubber for adjustment.

-counterclockwise allows for more fill....as you twist the top pink while holding the lower pink the nipple will get longer, so it dips deeper and your fill will stop earlier.

-you only need to adjust shelf level if it wont push the nozzle up enough to get proper flow.

Adam

Adam, this post has been a lifesaver!!  We have the Mori-Tem, whatever, knockoff - and I didn't know you could adjust the depth of the filler tip by rotating the purple thing!  This little tip now makes our life infinitely easier!!

• Thumbs up 1

we eventually learned this after a dozen phone calls to criveller's 'tech support,' not that it's in the manual by any stretch of the imagination.  However, once dialed in and calibrated, it holds pretty well.  also insider tip:  remember to put the top metal lid on, to minimize evaporation and thus loss of proof. :-) 

Next challenge on that gear:  there is always 1-2 bottles worth in the bottom, left over that do not feed into the filler tubes -- because it's meant for wine (??) and they expect debris (?).  We end up tipping the machine to one side and a bit forwards, lifting and supporting the 2 left legs, e.g., with a 2x4, or two 2x4s, so it all enters the filler tubes.   then there's always half a bottle left over that we harvest from the cleanout/discharge nozzles which face directly down.   a bit kludge like, or as criveller said, well, what do you expect?  they had no suggestion on how to fully empty the reservoir. 

cheers!