Our New Mash/Grain Separator! (Video)

Stumpy's

I had to share this because I know that I cannot be the only one that has debated on the best way to separate spent grain from mash. We were using a 1/8" perforated screen that was built on an angle over an open tank....terrible method. We ended up with a lot of solids going down into the septic tank, it was labor intensive, and messy.

Long story short, I had been watching a Kason Centri-Sifter on Ebay for over a year. I thought it would do a good job but wasn't convinced since I hadn't heard of anyone else using them. I decided to take the plunge and buy myself an early Christmas present. We picked it up for $2,500, which I thought was a steal....but still a big chunk to bite off for something I wasn't sure was even going to work! With just a few modifications to the screen, it's running like a champ on its first day. Below is a link to a video of it in action this morning. It's an ugly baby right now...kind of crammed in our "junk room". We're working on a more permanent solution, but I had to try it as soon as we got it....just like a kid on Christmas morning! ;)

If anyone has any questions about it, please let me know. Hopefully this will help someone!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1supbYToj38d1JCTHNMT3BNUTQ/view?usp=sharing

Adam

• Thumbs up 2

That looks amazing! How fine is your grain milled?

Right now I'm pumping to a tank, letting the solids settle, pumping off the liquid and then the farmer takes the wet sludge (we mill to near flour).

That looks amazing! How fine is your grain milled?

Right now I'm pumping to a tank, letting the solids settle, pumping off the liquid and then the farmer takes the wet sludge (we mill to near flour).

Hey Skaalven,

That was milled with a 3mm screen in a hammer mill. I just ordered a couple of new screens for the separator and am going to try a 1mm hammer mill screen for our next batch....that is as fine as we ever mill and gives us a nice flour.

Just found the company web site. One that looks just like yours $15,000 which would be over $20 K Australian

I was getting very excited at your 2.5 K

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Adam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the Kason Centri-Sifter. The Centri-Sifter lends itself very well to the type of dewatering applications typically found in distillery installations.

If you or any of your fellow distillers would like to discuss our machine in any capacity, I am always glad to do so. Please do not hesitate to give me a call or send me an email (or message) even if it is just to discuss ideas.

For those scared off by the price tag, Kason offers factory refurbished machines with the same factory warranty and support as new units at a more affordable price.

Sincerely,

Mike Hart

Application Engineer

Kason Corporation

Tel: 973-467-8140 ext. 129

Email: mhart@kason.com

• Thumbs up 1

Hi Mike, I am very interested in some type of mechanical de-watering

I have been looking at your Vibroscreens. They look a cheaper option than the Centri-sifter and I am also concerned the Centri-sifter might pulverize some of the soft grain and send more solids in the liquid stream.

In my case the waste stream is the solids as I am trying to get minimal solids into my fermenter

Pete

Hi Mike, I am very interested in some type of mechanical de-watering

I have been looking at your Vibroscreens. They look a cheaper option than the Centri-sifter and I am also concerned the Centri-sifter might pulverize some of the soft grain and send more solids in the liquid stream.

In my case the waste stream is the solids as I am trying to get minimal solids into my fermenter

Pete

Pete,

The Vibroscreen Separators are good solution for a de-watering as well. The solids will tend to come out a little bit wetter using the Vibroscreen than using the Centri-Sifter since the Vibroscreen relies on gravity to get liquid through the screen rather than forcing liquid through the screen. You are correct that the Vibroscreen will be less likely to break down soft solids than the Centri-Sifter since it has a gentler action. Small Vibroscreen Separators do start at a lower price point and they are suitable for low flow rates. If you are interested in a quote, please send me an email or message.

Mike Hart

mhart@kason.com