Math question

Ok all you SMRT guys out there here is you chance to prove it.

Im looking for an equation for a simple blending process. What i would like is an equation where you can plug in

YP (your known proof) then figure you add in X (amount of water) again a known amount then you take your next proof and you can calculate a total volume after the water is added.

the hard part is counting for the loss of volume you get when you add water to alcohol since we all know 1 gallon of water plus 1 gallon of alcohol doesn't equal 2 gallons of liquid

I don't have an equation handy, but there is a simply way. Just take a 100mL samle of the spirit and dilute to your desired ABV (e.g. 63%--> 46%), recording how much water you added and the total volume. Only takes a few min. Just be sure to let the solution reach equilibrium before taking final measurements. Now you can just scale that ratio up for the dilution of that product.

Yes. That is why you need to scale up the ratio. For example, if diluting (A) ml of spirit at (X)% ABV yields (B) ml at (Y)% ABV, then (A) hl of spirit at (X)% ABV yields (B) hl at (Y)% ABV. Basically, as long as you keep your ABV and dilution ratio constant, you can scale up to any batch size.

Disclaimer: I am the author of AlcoDens and my opinion may be biased.

You can have either a simple equation or an accurate equation. I am not aware of an equation that satisfies both criteria. I have written an online article that discusses the simple equation (i.e. Pearsons Square) and compares its results with the accurate methods (i.e. TTB Tables or AlcoDens). The article is at

http://www.katmarsoftware.com/articles/alcohol-dilution-calculator.html

We have several users of AlcoDens running the program on Macs using Parallels or other Windows emulators. Not ideal, but it works well once set up. Both AlcoDens and Parallels offer free trial versions so you can see if this option works for you without buying anything.

Disclaimer: I am the author of AlcoDens and my opinion may be biased.

You can have either a simple equation or an accurate equation. I am not aware of an equation that satisfies both criteria. I have written an online article that discusses the simple equation (i.e. Pearsons Square) and compares its results with the accurate methods (i.e. TTB Tables or AlcoDens). The article is at

http://www.katmarsoftware.com/articles/alcohol-dilution-calculator.html

We have several users of AlcoDens running the program on Macs using Parallels or other Windows emulators. Not ideal, but it works well once set up. Both AlcoDens and Parallels offer free trial versions so you can see if this option works for you without buying anything.

I don't recommend Parallels at all. I found it extremely buggy, although that was a while back. They may have improved it; and they might have also upgraded their tech support, which was nonexistent at the time I bought it.

Instead, I recommend VirtualBox, which is currently published by Oracle and is free (although you will need a copy of Windows). Once you get Windows installed, it's very reliable for running AlcoDens. I have been running AlcoDens on my Mac for several years using this method.