Mash for pigs

Hi all!

We are thrilled to be working with a local farmer who is feeding our spent grains to her pigs.

We have a few questions hopefully people with experience can answer.

1. How long is the mash safe to eat after delivering to the farm? She only has two pigs so the mash seems to be spoiling before they eat it all.

2. Anyone have a resource for nutritional content of a basic grain to bottle mash?

3. One of the pigs is pregnant and the farmer is nervous about giving her any. Anyone dealt with this?

Thanks for your time!
Amy

Alchemy Distillery

>> One of the pigs is pregnant. The Brix reading shows no alcohol content but the farmer is still nervous about giving her any. Anyone dealt with this?

Brix is a measure of grams of sucrose per 100ml of solution. It has nothing to do with alcohol content. The farmer we work with takes absolutely everything, stinky or not.

• Thumbs up 1

The farmer we work with takes everything. 400 gallons of spent corn stillage goes out the door nearly every day

Does he mind the liquid vs lautered spent grains like typically seen from the brewers? I'd think stillage would have advantages - sterile from the boil, longer shelf life with the low pH, etc. Does he bring his own tank or do you swap IBC totes, etc?

• Thumbs up 1

We do 100 corn whiskey and pump the stillage straight from the still into IBCs liquid and all. He then takes the IBCs full of stillage from the distillery to his farm and dumps them then brings the IBCs back on the same day so we can refill them again the next day

• Thumbs up 1

>> One of the pigs is pregnant. The Brix reading shows no alcohol content but the farmer is still nervous about giving her any. Anyone dealt with this?

Brix is a measure of grams of sucrose per 100ml of solution. It has nothing to do with alcohol content. The farmer we work with takes absolutely everything, stinky or not.

I misspoke. I just meant between Original Specific Gravity and Final Gravity we calculated no ABV. Thanks for your input.

Does he mind the liquid vs lautered spent grains like typically seen from the brewers? I'd think stillage would have advantages - sterile from the boil, longer shelf life with the low pH, etc. Does he bring his own tank or do you swap IBC totes, etc?

Our farmer likes the liquid. We personally deliver to the farm. I haul a full IBC tote and pump into another IBC tote on site that I gave her. We are fortunate that our local cheese company gives them to us so we have quite a few.

We do 100 corn whiskey and pump the stillage straight from the still into IBCs liquid and all. He then takes the IBCs full of stillage from the distillery to his farm and dumps them then brings the IBCs back on the same day so we can refill them again the next day

Thanks. That's precisely my plan.