Adding Molasses to the Wash?

Masterofnone

Sooo...knowing that Black Strap (feed) molasses can have issues that complicate fermentation, I was wondering if it could added as a flavoring to a cane wash? Ferment the wash, then add the B S Molasses before the striping run? I know I have seen it mentioned on here somewhere. Point being, if it's the added flavor profile I'm trying to achieve, why wouldn't this work?

I know it seems like cheating, but there are many roads that lead to Rome. Just wondering if this is one of them :0)

Thanks!

Are you asking CAN you do it to produce a good spirit? Or CAN you do it and still meet the TTB requirements for being labeled a rum? Regarding the latter, I would query them directly (they'll discuss something like that via phone). But in that discussion, DON'T call it FLAVORING. Wash augment, or something like that, might be more suitable.

Bluestar...thanks for the help:0) I was specifically interested in CAN I do it and still produce a good spirit. I love the taste of a Black Strap spirit, but have had issues fermenting, and the settling of solids in the bottom of my blue ferment barrels is a bitch to clean up. The food grade golden molasses is less of an issue b/c it tends to blend and ferment nicely. Sooo...for that sludgy, black strap product from the feed store, could I add it to the wash as I heat for first run instead? And if so, what would you feel might be an appropriate ratio? Any input would be welcome, and thanks again for the time and effort.

Interesting experiment. I would say you would lose almost all those flavors as a lot of the thick heavy richness I feel comes from the fermentation itself of the blackstrap and its sugars. If you end up getting a heavier rum just by adding blackstrap to your low wines that would be very cool!

I don't see at all why it would be a problem reporting wise. It's a mix of single and double distillation happening simultaneously. The last rum I made I mixed the stripping run of 1 1/2 fermenting tanks of rum beer with 1/2 a tank of the unstripped rum beer. Both were fermented from blackstrap and it was a nice mix of not too funky not too clean rum.

PA...That sounds delicious, actually:0) My point is that, if, b/c of the generally high ash count, and the lower brix count, there is not much to ferment in the first place, judging by the tarry solids that fall out of suspension during the fermentation process. Sooo, in a way, the benefits to fermentation (with the feed molasses) are marginal, in fact, border on counterproductive, leaving the flavor component as the positive contribution. It would seem to me, that component could be added to the wash post fermentation and do it's work through suspension during the stripping phase. In fact, adding the BS M to a heated mash with agitation might convince the heavier components to rest in suspension for a longer period of time, and contribute more flavor. Just a theory:0) Anyone?

Just about efficiency, from 80% Blackstrap 20% Bakers molasses (total of 110 gal of molasses) I made a wash of that I diluted down to 19.5 Brix and fermented down to 3.7 Brix (apprx 13%abv). It took two weeks (way too low with DAP, but I was going for yeast stress) but I wouldn't call that not worth it.

If you are really looking for BS just make and age your rum as normal, and add the allowed amount [to not have to say you added anything] of blackstrap back into the spirit pre-bottling to bring out the more rummy notes and add some BS flavor

• Thumbs up 1

If you add molasses to your finished product, it will seperate out after a few days, and all of the solids will end up in the bottom of your bottles.

I was thinking more of making a spirit caramel out of the blackstrap and adding that in. Rather then just untouched ashy blackstrap

• Thumbs up 1

I would imagine that you caramelize some sugar and add some BSM to the process before it goes totally fluid. Was that your thinking, Joe?

We have inverted with appropriate temps and citric, and can't seem to stabilize or permanently suspend either molasses or molasses / sugar blend.

Great points. This would lead to my ignorance when it comes to how say a whiskey is colored with e150? From what I've read, a cane spirit caramel (especially one made from molasses) when added in the right amounts will not add excessive sweetness, but instead accentuate and uplift the "rummy" characteristics of the rum. What I've seen says adding slowly and mixing heavily will dissolve and suspend the caramel, but from what you're saying Roger this is not the case and it will all sink to the bottom.

My question is how is a Black Rum made? It is essentially just an aged rum with high amounts of molasses added in to give it its black color and sweet rich flavor. What keeps the molasses in suspension?

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...

...... I made a wash of that I diluted down to 19.5 Brix and fermented down to 3.7 Brix (apprx 13%abv). ........................

Technical observation, did you measure that 3.7 with a refractometer?

I use a hand held refractometer regularly to quickly estimate %abv. At 3.7 mine roughly equates to 9.7%. 13% reads 5 brix.

I calibrated my refractometer years ago, maybe I was a bit out.

(ps. refractometer measures the bending of light as it passes through a liquid. 13%ethanol bends the same as 5% sugar solution, if my calibration was correct)

Just to bring this full circle, the BS MO I was referring to at the beginning of this post was FEED grade for livestock. Generally speaking It has a high ash count, and therefor tends not to do that well in fermentation, with quite a bit of solid settling that makes a mess:0/ Also, there is a component that is added by some companies, (carboxylic acid, perhaps) that will have an effect on fermentation. I was wandering if anyone had added molasses POST fermentation to the wash, and then stripped it. And if so, how did it work?