Dellmation

Questions you need to be asking:

1. What product do I want to produce

2. How much do I want to produce

3. What's my budget

Truth. Without knowing the budget or quantities one can't make any recommendation. No sense in saying "Buy from Acme Budget Stills" if he's got $1,000,000 to spend, or vice versa.

It's easy to make recommendations. OP asked for still information. Most still companies have stills that you can configure to make whatever product you are considering and options you can tailor to meet your budget. I think offering suggestions and letting OP do further investigation is what he was looking for.

Well,

If you're searching for a mid-level still I'd recommend Dehner Distillery/Red Boot Stills. It's not the best money can buy, but it was by far the best I could get in the price range I was looking for. Excellent service before and after the sale.

Sure I'd love a vendome/carl/kothe, but I love all the money I've saved by not getting one.

Well,

If you're searching for a mid-level still I'd recommend Dehner Distillery/Red Boot Stills. It's not the best money can buy, but it was by far the best I could get in the price range I was looking for. Excellent service before and after the sale.

Sure I'd love a vendome/carl/kothe, but I love all the money I've saved by not getting one.

I appreciate the direction. I will look into Dehner Distillery.

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for so many suggestions and great pointers/tips. Great forum. Ha. The funny thing is the options are endless! We are starting off with our Whiskey and immediately putting our Vodka and Rum and a couple of others in the pipeline. So one after another. We are now lost in the maze but in a good way. We are looking for a class or workshop on still design, building, equipment, etc....we feel it is worth it to at least try and find a good avenue to gain the knowledge needed on still selection.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions on this?

Dellmation,

The question about the appropriate still for your operation isn't answered based upon style, type, or manufacturer....rather upon your marketing plan.

Your marketing plan should be complete before your business plan, outlining items such as:

• Initial production and sales volumes for years 1-3. These are different numbers if you are aging whiskey and also selling vodka.
  • Price points of each of the products to your end customers.
  • Initial markets; tasting room only?, distribution (local and small, large and multi-state, open vs closed states).

Those basic answers will set you within +/- 20% of your first 3 year capacity requirements, which will then lead you to an appropriate still manufacturer.

Better said....figure out how much you think you can reasonably cash-flow production side and then sell......then start looking at a still.

*Full disclosure, I own 2 DSPs, one of which also houses out still manufacturing business. http://www.headframestills.com/ Our technology is featured in the March 2016 issue of Popular Mechanics if you'd like to learn more about what we do.

Cheers,

McKee

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We ordered an Artisan.  There are a lot of manufactures are there, you need to determine your needs and then anticipate what your long-term goals are and then find the right fit.  One thing that was important to me was customer service.  Knowing your sales rep and being able to go them for help and guidance is awesome.  The company I went with uses others in the distilling industry as their sales reps.  Mine told me the good, bad and the ugly and ultimately helped me choose the right system for us.  People are going to throw out the brand they like (as I did, mildly) but at the end of the day it is a gut feeling, and whatever you are your team feel it is the best for you, that is what you need to go with.  Hope this helps.