Charge Agitation

Andrew

How helpful is an agitator to processing an unfiltered grain charge? Intuitively, it would speed heating and be better than convection at keeping the charge chemically and thermally mixed. But how much of a difference, practically, would this make for the volumes a small pot still takes on?

For us, this is a speculative budgetting matter rather than an immediate issue, but agitators are pretty pricey and it's an interesting question.

How helpful is an agitator to processing an unfiltered grain charge? Intuitively, it would speed heating and be better than convection at keeping the charge chemically and thermally mixed. But how much of a difference, practically, would this make for the volumes a small pot still takes on?

For us, this is a speculative budgetting matter rather than an immediate issue, but agitators are pretty pricey and it's an interesting question.

Andrew,

It depends on what you want to distill. Normally a pot stirrer is only required when there is a chance of the solids within the wash settling, and burning on the bottom of a direct fired still, or the mash solids are so high the same will occur on the steam coils or jacket (i.e distilling stone fruit mashes). In one instance I have seen burning occur in a direct steam situation with a cherry fruit mash.

A stirrers effect boil-up time on a thin grain wash in a <1000 liter pot is negligible.

Personally, unless you must have one for your mash type, they are a luxury. We took the option to install flanges (which we capped off) on all out pots so as to take a stirrer if we ever needed one.

Rich:

Thanks much. Very good to hear.

I have found agitation to be helpful when doing stuff that you do not have to worry about solids on, it helps distribute heat. It is not all that nessesary when making whiskey, if you mash your grain right, it will not stick and burn.

I have found agitation to be helpful when doing stuff that you do not have to worry about solids on, it helps distribute heat. It is not all that nessesary when making whiskey, if you mash your grain right, it will not stick and burn.

We here in Colorado do use an agitator for our mash kettle. It is a 900L kettle and is direct steam fired. The total cost was 600.00 for a 1/2 HP motor with a gear drive speed reducer 110V power source and 45.00 for the shaft and paddles. Works great for us, keeps mash moving and helps mix the grains and when it comes time to transfer mash to fermentation tanks. We are using corn ground to a little bigger than corn meal, wheat and barley. Well worth the price. Coop