oval shaped bottles - how are you applying labels?

Lenny

We use Pirmal's St.Louis Bottle (pictured below). It's tall and oval shaped and it SUCKS to apply labels to!

We're currently in process of trying to adapt a zap labeler to work by adding additional guides to allow the rounded bottle to hopefully slide straight - not a lot of success with it thus far. We typically do not exceed 500/run and I don't foresee ever going beyond 1,000/run. There's gotta be something out there... I've scene folks make mention of race and primera on this forum, but neither seem all that appropriate for the bottle shape we're using.

Is ANYONE having real success using any sort of label applicator machine with an oval shaped bottle?

rsz_sp_st_louisoval.jpg

Do these bottles have a notch on one side of the base?

If they do you might be able to use that to align your bottle with a small addition your labeler.

I am currently building a device to align square/round bottles. I am going to take a plaster cast of the base with its notch to get each bottle perfectly aligned.

Do these bottles have a notch on one side of the base?

If they do you might be able to use that to align your bottle with a small addition your labeler.

I am currently building a device to align square/round bottles. I am going to take a plaster cast of the base with its notch to get each bottle perfectly aligned.

Im not sure about Lenny's, but the St. Louis bottles I have do have a notch on the bottom.

Mine have that back dent too. Pretty sure all St.Louis bottles do. Figured it was a component of the manufacturing process but it makes sense that it could be used in some way to center the bottles for labeling -- i'll look into that.

The more I mess around with the zap labeler the closer I'm getting to a working solution. I'll post a video of how it works in it's current configuration. It can work, and it seems very similar to that race labeler that was linked to, but was hoping there might be a better solution out there.

My current self made labeler is too slow and now that my sales have increased I need to go to a better one.

Still hand done will be plenty fast enough.

Most of my bottles are square and the Race hand labeler where they pull the bottles through should work very well.

Anyone got any prices on this type of device, not only the Race?

• 2 months later...