Site Built Stills

Wilder

What are you opinions on site built column stills? I several friends that are union boilermakers and one plumbing and design engineer. Do an of you have an thought on this or do you favor the really custom built models. I'm not really after a still that is to be placed in pictures, just on that will make a clean, quality product with a great taste.

Good morning Wilder,

I did buy an "overseas" custom built still with columns mostly for the versitility our still has and the C.I.P. (Clean In Place) system. As mentioned by Palmetto Coast, there are many who have built their own. I, am to a point, envious of their intimacy with their equipment. They were built for purpose. Not just thrown together. I agree that you must know what you want to do. Plan carefully and include all the factors. Please consider the traditional question of where you want to be in 5 years. It passes quickly! I guess my advice is to spend $$ wisely. Great you are doing the research. Also,remeber that the home distilling info available on line is great but does not always translate to an industial, meaning economical, use.

Good Luck,

Bob

What are you opinions on site built column stills? I several friends that are union boilermakers and one plumbing and design engineer. Do an of you have an thought on this or do you favor the really custom built models. I'm not really after a still that is to be placed in pictures, just on that will make a clean, quality product with a great taste.

Call me about building a still. Bill Owens. 510-886-7418

Call me about building a still. Bill Owens. 510-886-7418

I am building my own 45 gallon, 4 inch copper column still, with an 8 inch bubble cap, reflux cooling, C.I.P. and a botanical basket. The factory built units are wonderful, but the cost is more than I can handle. I figure for about $1,500 ( I got a lot of stuff cheap - i.e. 14 ft of 4 inch copper for $200 )and a lot of sweat equity, I am building what would cost me $20,000 plus and I get exactly what I want. It may not be as fancy as one from the big guys but it will produce high quality product. So my opinion is if you have the ability and can figure out why something is made the way it is, go for ii! Save the money, you will need it somewhere else.

Valley Spirits Lee

• 5 weeks later...