Pump Recommendations for Filtering

william-bailey

I'm looking to filter vodka through multiple filters before adding flavors but need guidance on what type of pump I need. I'm going from a 53 gallon barrel to a pump and then through multiple filters before being dumped into another barrel. I will be a small operation so it does not have to be super strong but need something to get the product through the filters. My main concern is sanitation since the alcohol will physically go through the pump. Do I need a special food grade pump or something? Will any pump from a hardware store do?

Suggestions? Brands?

Thanks guys!

You should not use a hardware store pump, for two reasons - it's probably not compatible with ethanol, and it may be dangerous to use in the presence of alcohol vapor or spillage. I'm sure you could argue the third reason - it's not sanitary, but with higher proof ethanol, it's unlikely you'd have microbial issues.

Small pneumatic double diaphragm pump made out of compatible materials is usually a good way to go, the pump speed is easily controlled by varying the air pressure. I like the Yamada DP-20F - but it's a spendy pump (or the smaller DP-10F).

http://www.yamadapump.com/literature/guides/Yamada_PTFE_pumps.pdf

Pneumatic double diaphragm? ARO, Sandpiper, Wilden, etc etc.

Keep in mind that the all-plastic pumps are not groundable, so it's critical that both your feed and receiver tanks are adequately grounded (static protection). The stainless shell pumps would be a good option if you want to be able to ground the pump as well.

• Thumbs up 1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEFLON-1-2-Chemical-Resistant-PP-Air-Diaphragm-Pump/252302003269?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Df7cdbd73e992445798e35a730a3486d8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131736743954

shop around for something like this, just make sure the components are okay to use with ethanol. You will need a small air compressor to run the pump (going to want to filter the air going from the compressor to the pump).

One other thing to consider with regard to pumping and filtration is that you ideally want a smooth flow without pulsation. Pulsating flow negatively impacts filtration performance and shortens the lifespan of your filter and hoses.

Double-diaphragm pumps tend to have very choppy output that is bad for filtration. We make a pulsation smoother that significantly smooths out the flow. See this video we took.

Flexible impeller pumps, peristaltic pumps, and RPD pumps are awesome for filtration because they produce a smooth steady flow and good pressure. Pressure is also important for filtration, and for getting long life out of your filter media. Unfortunately, getting those styles of pumps in XP configurations can be pricey, as Humuls notes above.

Pneumatic double diaphragm? ARO, Sandpiper, Wilden, etc etc.

Keep in mind that the all-plastic pumps are not groundable, so it's critical that both your feed and receiver tanks are adequately grounded (static protection). The stainless shell pumps would be a good option if you want to be able to ground the pump as well.

There are actually some groundable plastic pumps. We sell two: The Flojet G70 (5 GPM) and the SimpleSpirits Lite (12 GPM).

Additionally, even the stainless shell pumps may not be groundable unless they are certified as such. The air motors in AODD pumps often use non-groundable parts, and much of the static-generating movement happens in the air motor.

As an example, our SimpleWine AODD line has a 316 stainless steel shell, but is not groundable. It doesn't need to be, since it's only for pumping wine & beer. Our SimpleSpirits AODD line is fully groundable, and ATEX-certified for use in potentially flammable atmospheres.

We did a really cool custom filtration setup for a distillery: a 12 GPM SimpleSpirits pump, pulse smoother, and a 2 x 30" stainless steel housing, all on a stainless steel cart. It worked awesome. Really smooth flow. Here's a video.