Hammer Mill w/ Blower

Stumpy's

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a good source for a hammer mill with a blower that we can hook up directly to our mash tun at a reasonable price? We currently use corn, wheat, barley, and rye. I think I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of 2,000 lb/hr. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Windy City said:

How were they to deal with, and how does the mill's construction seem?  That company is located a couple hours from us and I've been meaning to set up a time to bring a few bags of grain out to test a mill and maybe bring it back with me.  The prices do seem attractive.

They were very good to deal with.

The construction I would rate as good (great for the price). I had to buy about $5.00 worth of bolts and nuts that were lost in shipping, not even worth calling the seller.

We are in Chicago and he did invite us up, so if you are in driving distance I would highly recommend giving it a test drive.

• 3 years later...

@Windy City (or anyone else that has used one) Any feed back on the pelletmaster mill after using it. I'm considering buying one, but it looks pretty messy from the videos on their site. My current mill is crazy slow, but at least I can load the hopper and walk away, and I just pre mill my grains while brewing. Not sure how much life is left in it though.

Thinking I may be better off spending more, and getting something like this. https://www.coloradomillequipment.com/new-cme-mill-hms-vb-3hp/

Anybody looking to sell a hammer or burr mill for that matter?

1 hour ago, adamOVD said:

@Windy City (or anyone else that has used one) Any feed back on the pelletmaster mill after using it. I'm considering buying one, but it looks pretty messy from the videos on their site. My current mill is crazy slow, but at least I can load the hopper and walk away, and I just pre mill my grains while brewing. Not sure how much life is left in it though.

Thinking I may be better off spending more, and getting something like this. https://www.coloradomillequipment.com/new-cme-mill-hms-vb-3hp/

We bought an 18"/20HP hammer mill with an auger from Automatic Farm System for about $6K two years ago.  We mill about 1,200 - 1,500 lbs of grain a day. The mill is overkill for now but we have plenty of room to grow. Call me and I can tell you how we made it nearly dustless operation. 

IMG_8263.jpeg

3 hours ago, Golden Beaver Distillery said:

Automatic Farm System for about $6K two years ago

That's a great deal,  and a sweet set up. Way too big for me, but I'll contact them to see if they have anything small enough. I don't need to be completely dustless, as I mill in a separate area, but obviously less is better. Why didn't you auger directly to your mash tun?

14 hours ago, adamOVD said:

The mill works great and brings all my grains down to flour. As far as being messy, it is. My winter project will be getting a bigger cyclone and a better way to attach the 50 pound bags I collect the flour in. I really don't think you can beat it for the price. I am probably looking at an additional 750 / 1000$ for tighter sheet metal and a bigger cyclone. In my opinion well worth it. YMMV

3 hours ago, Windy City said:

The mill works great and brings all my grains down to flour. As far as being messy, it is. My winter project will be getting a bigger cyclone and a better way to attach the 50 pound bags I collect the flour in. I really don't think you can beat it for the price. I am probably looking at an additional 750 / 1000$ for tighter sheet metal and a bigger cyclone. In my opinion well worth it. YMMV

Thanks for the feedback!

7 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

We run a Meadows #5 and have been happy with it.  Big question is whether or not you want to blow, auger, or both.

I Will get a price on the Meadows #5 as well. Unfortunately logistics won't let me auger or blow directly to the mash tun. I also can't get my forklift over it, so everything is manual. Simple gravity fed would probably be best.

On 12/29/2021 at 5:53 PM, adamOVD said:

I've got an older hammer mill with a bin that will hold about 8000 lb of milled grain. A bunch of screens, blower discharge, pipe connecting to bin, and bin has dust outlet. Hammer mill needs a motor. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it all...I want it out of my way. $1,000 for all of it.

1 hour ago, Stumpy's said:

I've got an older hammer mill with a bin that will hold about 8000 lb of milled grain. A bunch of screens, blower discharge, pipe connecting to bin, and bin has dust outlet. Hammer mill needs a motor. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it all...I want it out of my way. $1,000 for all of it.

Damnnnnnnnn

Stump I’m putting in a vac system in feb I’ll let you know how much I regret it like I do everything?

@Stumpy's that is indeed one hell of a deal. Unfortunately It's way overkill for me and I don't have the room. Im only milling 500# in a day, twice a week, tops. Plus every mash bill I have contains multiple grain types.

I'm surprised no one has snatched it up yet, I remember seeing you post it here.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:16 PM, SlickFloss said:

Damnnnnnnnn

Stump I’m putting in a vac system in feb I’ll let you know how much I regret it like I do everything?

Nice! Let me know how that goes! We are at the limit of our auger right now and a vac would be awesome.