Stripping run

Depends on your product. If you're making neutral you usually want to strip first to get as much spirit in the kettle for the spirit run. That makes flooding the column, balancing take off and proof easier. Whiskey/rum/brandy/ect. can go either way. There are flavor implications for running straight from mash through a column vs double pot stilling. Your flavor is not something most of us can help you with as its subjective and unique for each distillery. That's why this is so much fun!

I've found the closer you are to a raw material the fuller the flavor. That's not always a good thing. If i distill once through a column i'll typically get a fuller flavor than if I strip then spirit run through a pot still. The number of plates and dephlemator settings of the column all effect the flavor of the spirit off the still too.

• Thumbs up 1

• 3 weeks later...

We strip some and we run some, rtshfd is right on point. I like pulling some my rum at about 165 in one run. I also perform a modified spirit run through my column of 6 plates, I load the column, equalize it, pull the compressed fores and heads, cut heat, let it dump (it only takes a few minutes) then heat it up again and run it with out forced reflux for the remainder of the run. You have options, give them all a try.

If i distill once through a column i'll typically get a fuller flavor than if I strip then spirit run through a pot still.

REALLY? That's the first time I've ever heard that. I've shied away from columns thinking a pot still will give more flavor.

Can anyone else concur? Am I the only one to not know this? LOL.