Sediment in Brandy (Grappa) after Bottling

Hello All,

We have recently started bottling our Grappa Brandy, it has been aging in barrels for two years and we are seeing some sediment in the bottle after it has been chilled. Does any one have any idea what this is and how we could remove it? We have been thinking about cold filtering the Grappa before bottling to see if that would help. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

I assume it has been well filtered at room temperature.

Why are you chilling the bottles? Many brandies are meant to be drunk slightly warmed with the hands, the reason for a brandy balloon.

I assume that the oils etc that are dissolved at room temperature are flocking out (crystalizing). If that is the case then the flock should disappear if you re-warm and shake the bottle.

Put a note on your label eg. "If this brandy becomes cloudy at low temperatures this is an indication that it has not been chill filtered and so retains maximum flavor"

• 1 month later...

It's probably long chain esters that are causing the haze, but it's just a cosmetic issue. I agree with PeteB about the note:

Put a note on your label eg. "If this brandy becomes cloudy at low temperatures this is an indication that it has not been chill filtered and so retains maximum flavor"

Chill filtering would very likely fix the haze problem, but you might lose a bit of flavor and body, particularly at the back. Not really worth it in my opinion. These compounds are more soluble in EtOH than H2O, so you bottling at a higher abv would also mitigate the haze.