How long does it take for whiskey mash to ferment ?

Reiner

I apologize if this question has already been asked before , but Im not familiar with this forums search engine . Anyways Id like to ask how long it takes for corn whiskey mash to ferment . Some sources say three days , while others say three .

Thanks ahead of time .

To echo Bluestar, there are a lot of variables, but the general range is 2-5 days. For example, higher temp will generally result in faster fermentation, but also more congeners, such as esters and higher alcohols. Another thing to consider is microbes other than your distiller's yeast. Lactobacillus, for example, takes longer than distiller's yeast to hit its stride, so tends to have a more impact in longer fermentations. Get a bench scale kit and do some test batches as part of your recipe development.

Depends on pitching temp, starting gravity, yeast strain, nutrient availability, ambient temperature, PH, available oxygen, mashing protocol (did you fuck it up?), exogenic enzymes vs endogenic enzymes (endogenic produce more unfermentable, or poorly fermentable sugars which = slower). Do you want some of that icky, bacteria action that happens after a ferment finishes? Makes for a good whiskey but you have to wait a few days!

I've found, all things equal, that rye ferments faster than corn. Exact same procedure for rye as corn and it ferments to completion a whole day or two more. Rye is done in 3 days, corn in 4-5 maybe? There's a lot of variables that effect time, and flavor.

This last winter I ended up storing totes for about two months between brewing and distilling. One of our totes got infected with something that made a VERY nice whiskey, which the lab we sent it to failed to identify in any useful capacity. Other than that, we got very lucky. We avoid deliberate lacto infection, so as long as nothing gets in accidentally we only have yeast in our mash. This is not to say I hated every day those sat, but priorities aren't always friendly.

On the other hand, we typically try for just over a week. We pitch on the light end for a more gentle ferment and to not risk overheating, and give a touch of extra time for slower ferments to finish. This last batch, every single tote is infected and giving terrible yield. Good sanitation practices makes the difference between indefinite storage and instant regrets.

• 2 months later...

We're usually pretty much complete after 5 days, but sometimes we'll wait for seven days to let the mash fully ferment. You can also pitch your yeast at a higher temperature if you're looking for a faster ferment, but you may get some undesirable flavors. But hell, sometimes you'll get great flavors.

• 1 year later...

I am a beginner but for barley mashes I do 7 days. I recently made a Sour mash bourbon that I let ferment for 4 weeks. The bourbon it made was amazing.  And if I am going to be away I will set a moonshine corn mash fermenting for up to 4 weeks.  If I get a Lacto I run it anyway. Makes great whiskey but I dont do it deliberately.