Wayward

What ever happened to iStill?

78 posts in this topic

Here's our Christmas wish to all of you!

Regards, Odin.

More people visiting the Amsterdam iStill Center!

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/15/markus-from-texas/

And some more updates on production and innovation. Innovation first.

We released a new version of the iStill Firmware. What it allows you to do? Well, ahum, yeah, you can now actually use your unit to manually distill! So you have the choice between robotized and manual distilling. In manual you decide on the number of redistillations and purity. In the robotized approach, the robot does that for you. Even in the manual distilling version, you can still dial in automated cuts if you want that.

Another functionality that we added to the firmware is this: you can now see how many hours you used the unit, the heaters and/or the agitator (and some other things). Next month we'll import our service ratio's, so you can see when what service is required. Think oil change on the agitator, new seals, etc.

Customers that want the newest Firmware just need to plug their unit into a router and we'll upgrade them for free. But ... you might want to wait a few days, because in the first week of January we'll add a product library as well. What that is? Easy, if you dial in a certain recipe to distill your - say- Bourbon, you can save it as (example) "Bourbon". And you could call your rum "Rum". Next time you want to start a run, you don't need to dial in anything ... you just select the product you want to make, and the iStill will automatically start the (distilling, mashing or fermenting) program you choose.

Secondly, apart from the Firmware, we have beefed up the cooling capacity of iStill's boiler radiator (that you use for mashing and fermenting, if that's what you want to do). Not needed for fermenting, this extra capacity, but it will make cooling after mashing go faster quite a bit. Existing customers can upgrade for free.

Thirdly, we have redesigned our heaters for an even lower wattage per square centimeter, while optimizing it for through flow. This allows the iStills not just to process grains, but it can now handle even bigger particles (potatoe blocks for instance) without cooling to the heaters being compromized.

Okay, that's a few new innovations I wanted to share. How about production? Well, we are trying as hard as we can to get all the orders shipped out as soon as possible. My dream is an empty assembly & dispatch hall by Christmas. But that isn't going to happen, because we are currently building 5 more iStills 100 NextGen, that will be ready to be tested by the end of next week. And the week after that we'll have 5 more iStills 500 NextGen being produced.

Have a good Christmas, all of you!

Regards, Odin.

Factory pick-up!

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/16/craft-distillery-warmond/

On Monday I'll try to post some pictures of a 2000 liter (520 gallon) unit we shipped to the USA East Coast.

Have a great weekend, all of you!

Regards, Odin.

Here's a picture of three units ready to be dispatched to the crating company. One iStill 100 NextGen will go to Indonesia. The second 100 goes to Michigan, where it will serve a craft distillery as its product development still. The bigger unit they also ordered will be made end of January, beginning of February. And the big unit in the picture is an iStill 2000 NextGen. A 520 gallon (net) capacity still that can make anything from vodka to whiskey. It'll go to North Carolina.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1516.JPG

1 person likes this

Our last build before Christmas! A series of five iStills 100 NextGen. Bob is working on the insulation. We'll have them all ready by Friday. Testing and dispatching will follow between Christmas and New Year's Day.

Regards, Odin.

IMG_1522.JPG

If you want to see how much care we take in crating and packaging our iStills, before they get shipped all over the world, please see this iStill Blog post:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/preparing-for-transport/

Regards, Odin.

Here's more info and a picture of a new and stronger heating element for the iStill 100 NextGen: https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/29/istill-100-push-the-power/

This 100 liter unit is often used for either product development or as a gin still. The additional heater gives it a bit of extra "oomph".

Regards, Odin.

Since I have reached my maximum, I can't post pictures here directly. I will have to clean up some posts later. For now, if you are interested in seeing the iStill 2000 NextGen that we are building for deployment in Napa Valley, California, please see:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/11/california-dreaming/

Regards, Odin.

Just landed at Glasgow Airport in Scotland and tranfered to the Airport Hotel. Drinking a beer as we speak. To bed early (well, it's almost 11 pm already over here). And tomorrow I will drive to Newton Stewart, to help build up a distillery. Well, others do most of the building, while I do the training. Gin and vodka and single malt Scottish whisky. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow or the day after!

Regards, Odin.

For those in Europe (or people from other parts of the world willing to fly a long, long way): we still have a few places open for the Introduction to Advanced Distilling Workshop. When? Coming Saturday. Where? In the iStill Center near Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/introduction-to-advanced-distilling/

Regards, Odin.

Here's a picture of the units we are currently assembling and testing. The five more 500 liter units, the two 2000 liter units, and the two 5000 liter units that we are currently building are not yet in the picture.

Regards, Odin.

Hi there,

Currently I am in Norfolk, England, helping Jude and Peter set up their Archangel Gin Distillery. Here's a short video of their first gin run on the iStill 500 NextGen. We have another team over in Ireland (close to Cork) setting up another distillery where they make whiskey and vodka with their iStill.

Regards, Odin.