ADI Forums
Wayward

What ever happened to iStill?

Odin    43

We are shipping out four more iStills 500 NextGen. All units have full distillation capabilities (1 to 40 redistillations), and can mash and be used as additional fermenters as well.

Regards, Odin.

• reaction_title_1 1

Odin    43

Today I visited Schouten Distillery again. Their gin is ready and tastes awesome. And their distillery looks great!

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/21/schouten-distillery-2/?preview_id=9219&preview_nonce=bf4c6fc12c

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

Okay, the show is in Dutch, and half of it is about a special villa, but the rest is about award winning master distiller Bart Joosten, making his single malt whisky and gin:

http://www.uitzendinggemist.net/aflevering/389727/Binnenstebuiten.html

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

Hi there,

Here's an article on advanced column design. Bit iStill-oriented, because it is about how we further optimized our columns for a total of 100% production increase:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/30/total-column-optimization/

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

And here's a few pictures of another few iStills 2000 NextGen that just left us.

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/01/shipping-more-istills-2000-nextgen/

I am flying out to Utah the day after tomorrow to give a 3-day workshop on advanced distilling. After that I'll hop over to North Carolina to help set-up a distillery. If anyone is near and feels like having a drink with me: please reach out. First round is on me!

Regards, Odin.

nycVilla    0

With all of these iStills out there in production, I wondered if anyone has a warts an all review of the bigger systems like iStill 2000 or 5000's?

Odin    43

Currently in transit to Utah and North Carolina. Will reach out and see if some are willing to chime in, Villa!

Regards, Odin.

PS: We shipped another i500 to Ireland just yesterday. Next unit will also be an i500. To Denmark. After that the two i5000's will go. To two distilleries in the USA.

Graybeard    1

iStill review from the US

We purchased an iStill2000 from Odin and have it running almost around the clock making vodka.  The grain that we use is very unique compared to your typical vodka as we use long grain white rice, which meant that our heads and tails cuts are very different than traditional grain distillations.  The flavor profile that we are trying to capture with the rice necessitates variations from the default iStill settings, something that we were struggling with.  In order to help, Odin flew in to our still and spent several days with us dialing in the iStill to our unique needs.  The results.....nothing less than impressive.  We doubled our yield in half the time it had been taking, running off 96% alcohol in one run.  One of the most impressive characteristics of the iStill is the ability to distill with precision and purity, in just one run.  Odin went above and beyond in his visit and is truly a partner with our still.  We also ordered an iStill5000 and can't wait to get it online to more than double our production.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us.

Graybeard

• reaction_title_1 1

Dsking416    0

Last summer I went to the Netherlands to see Odin in his natural habitat, I saw them building an iStill2000 NextGen and it is an impressive beast. I went to Utah recently and took a class with Odin and ran an iStill One and an iStill250 both worked flawlessly. In addition to the stills being amazing the spirits New World Distillery is making with them are genius. Agave Spirit, Agave based Vodka (that is amazing), and a Gin that just jumps out at you then finishes nice and clean. If you have time to wonder what happened to iStill...

Odin    43

Graybeard, thanks for giving your review on the iStill 2000 NextGen. It was great to meet you & the team. The Raleigh/Durham surroundings are beautiful, and the mss and I have sweet memories of the great steak house you took us to.

Here's a link with some pictures of your iStill 5000 NextGen. It's currently being crated and will leave the Netherlands on a ship to Baltimore in just a few days:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/19/istill-5000-ready-for-dispatch/

Dsking416, thanks for the feedback on the iStills, on the drinks Chris and Ashley from the New World Distillery make, and for brightening the workshop with your (and Brandon's) amazing cocktails. Did you enjoy the 3-day workshop we gave and the information we shared? If there is any feedback, positive or negative, you can share, that would be very much appreciated. Especially, since I hear there's quite a lot of North American distillers considering to sign up for the next course in Utah, coming September.

On the never ending question "what happens to iStill", here's an update:

We are proud to announce that Australia's biggest wine maker, producing among others the fifth most valuable wine brand in the world, decided to fit its distilleries with iStills. They made that decision after having dispatched a team of engineers and product developers on a three week trip around the world, visiting still manufacturers in China, the US, Scotland, Germany, and - finally - the Netherlands.

When I first met them, they anticipated buying a continuous still from a US manufacturer and a big plated still from Germany. And maybe a smaller gin still from my company. After having seen the iStills in action, they decided to cancel the pre-orders from the US and German still builders and they ordered three big iStill distilleries instead. Makes me feel very proud indeed!

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

Hi there!

Some amazing new functionality: we added the possibility to design, save and load recipes for mashing, fermenting, and distilling. As a start we added like 24 standard recipes that can be used for whiskey, brandy, gin, vodka, and rum making ... and more.

Please see: https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/29/istill-recipe-library/

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

Standard recipes: i500vodkaR stands for a robotized vodka run with the iStill 500 ...

Odin    43

We have designed a new column for those into gin, spiced rum, flavored vodka's, geist, absinth or other kinds of infusions. The iStill Extractor column. Here's more info:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/pre-announcement-istill-extractor/

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

Here is a picture of the new iStill Extractor Column. A revolutionary design to capture taste of herbs, fruits or other extractables to their essence. For above top shelf liqueurs, gins, absinths, Geists, and more: 

First five columns have been sold already. For iStills 100 and iStills 500 NextGen. We are currently designing bigger Extractor Columns for the iStill 2000 and 5000.

Regards, Odin.

• reaction_title_1 1

Odin    43

Today we shipped out four iStills 500 NextGen. One of them is a gas fired unit we especially made for one of our African customers. La Distillery Beninoise. They make a local palm tree brandy, called Sodabi. Very interesting stuff. Also available in the USA, since the owner is American.

For pictures, please click on: https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/27/four-new-distilleries-on-transport/

Tomorrow will see an iStill Blog post on the new Extractor Column: how it works and how it can help you make amazing tasting gins, liqueurs, akvavits and absinths. Both in terms of taste concentration and in terms of distillation efficiency and speed.

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

Hi there,

An update! Here's a link to a beautiful mobile set-up for the iStill 100 NextGen. Tim Smith uses it for product development, especially gins:

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/congratulations-to-tim-smith/

Also, the summer holiday season is drawing near. The iStill Factory will close for two weeks, but Assembly (just to catch up) will stay open all summer. Personally, I will go on summer holidays with the family to Hungary. Since my wife is from Hungary, we have a holiday house at Lake Balaton. Beautiful and scenic and warm and lots of fresh fruits.
The fresh fruit is important, because I am shipping an iStill 100 NextGen over ... together with a 25 liter Extractor Column. I plan to use the set-up to make various fruit brandies, liqueurs and extracts and wines. I'll keep you posted.
I go to Hungary by bike. I organized a sponsor event for the Lungs Fund. Having been struck down by pneumonia just 9 months ago, I thought it was time to do something back and to work on my own physical health and condition a bit as well. What I plan to do? A bicycle trip from Amsterdam to Geiselwind in central Germany. Around 700 kilometers (450 miles) in a bit over a week. Starting coming Thursday ... Keep your fingers crossed for me, please! And if you want to find out more please see:
Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

We are currently working on a new innovation. I think technically it can be described as an automated inline thumper system with variable liquid bath. Very nice for taste rich spirits production in one go. And it can also be used as an additional tails trap, which further helps the production of especially fruit brandy and Bourbon. More info when I am back from by cycling trip to Germany! Around July 18th we'll put up an iStill Blog Post about it.

Regards, Odin.

Edited by Odin
spelling mistakes

On 5/4/2016 at 10:21 AM, Odin said:

Here are some pics of a distillery we delivered today to a distillery in Utah, USA ...

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/04/new-world-distillery-from-utah/

Two masher/fermenters, each of 2000 liter capacity, an iStill One of 1000 liter capacity, the iStill 500 Pro, and an iStill Pump.

We will fly over soon for assembly, testing, and training!

Regards, Odin.

New World's "Ooma Gin", and "Rabbit and Grass Agave Spirits" that come off these are great!  Odin, it was nice to meet you last summer -- I'm glad we had a few minutes on the way to the airport to chat!

Odin    43

And thanks for the ride back! It was much appreciated and very nice to talk to you. I'll be in Utah early September for another iStill workshop on distilling. Maybe see you around?

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43
Hi there!

An update from Hungary. What a great combination: work in the mornings, holidays in the afternoon and evening! And making #vodka and using the #iStill Extractor for an amazing peachchello ... and soon an apricot brandy. But it is nearing its end. Soon we go home again, back to the Netherlands. Work awaits. Lots of it.

Here's an update on what to expect from us on Facebook and on the iStill Blog. More information on the Extractor. And on the iStill Booster technology and how it can help you out making #brandy, #rum and #whiskey. A post on how to use the Extractor to make amazing fruit brandies ... and a post on how to use the Extractor as a (carbon) filter to polish up your GNS or vodka. Yes! You don't need a separate filter system for that anymore, but can now use the iStill Extractor to help you perform that job!

Oh, and here is a picture of our dog, Kifli:

Regards, Odin.

Odin    43

On behalf of the iStill Team I want to congratulate The Cornish Distilling Company on winning a great prize with their amazing coffee liqueur!

https://istillblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/11/the-cornish-distilling-company/

Regards, Odin.