hammer mill vs roller mill

doubleD

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2013 at 10:36 AM, Dehner Distillery said:

I can get up to 22-24% abv using My Hammermill. But usually my goal is to aim for 10-15% when you get up into the About 20 is it really alters the flavor.

I love my Hammermill I use it for everything. I would highly suggest that flour is almost too fine for what you want. There's a fine line between going to find into course. If you go to course you won't get the proper conversion. If you go to fine it will be very hard to manage and you will get stuck in every Process.

Here is a real life example for me. I use the quarter inch screen in my Hammermill and I would yield 10 to 12% by volume and I could always get a large amount of alcohol out of the grain, after I would press it And it would be super dry. When I went to the eighth inch screen I got about 13 to 15% alcohol by volume. But when I went to press it it would still be very wet. So I lost the yields on actual volume of product be distilled.

So in conclusion using the quarter inch screen was far superior for actually producing money than using the eighth inch screen than trying to get more yield because of the complications in extracting the alcohol out of the eighth inch screen for me.

The 1/4" screen is like a very very fine corn meal

The 1/8" screen is like a coarse flour

Also the benefit of the Hammermill over the roller mill is speed. I can Hammermill 4000 pounds an hour. That's why I only use my Hammermill about two hours every month.

If you're doing corn on a roller mill you will find that corn is a super coarse-grain and will wear your roller mill out even if it's heat-treated over a period of time it will lose its outside diameter.

Sorry to be long winded! :)

Joseph Dehner

www.dehnerdistillery.com

Hey Joseph, 

Old post here but I am curious, are you willing to share how you manage to yield 22-24% abv? What grain ratio are you using? are you adding adjuncts? 

Thanks,