What is the best way to learn the cooperage trade?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LADIstiller, my name is Mahad and I am the owner of D.R. Cooperage and Grain down here in New Mexico.  I hope this message gets to you becasue I have spent the last year developing a kit with plans that turns anyone with little to no woodworking experience into a cooper able to produce my specially designed 27 gallon barrels.  It would be awesome to chat with you.  Coopering can be difficult especially without some of the specially designed tools and fixtures to help cut things like stave shape, but I think i've got the remedy to this know-how issue.  I'll be in LA wednesday (if you are in LA too, assuming from your name) perhaps we could meet up.  Give me a ring 505-688-6397 or shoot me an email Mahad@DRCooperageandGrain.com.  I believe in the second wave of craft distilling where not only raw materials are locally sourced but the production of tools and aging techniques are also practiced in-house.  

http://www.abqjournal.com/696318/meet-the-coopers-local-entrepreneurs-get-into-barrel-making-business.html