Technical Support from Carl Stills - Who?

For those of you who are running Carl stills, who do you call/email if you have a concern or issue with your still?

I've contacted our rep that I'm familiar with but he sent me a response 4 days ago saying he would get back to me right away and now isn't responding to my emails.

The issue is I was testing fuses in the breaker inside the control panel and noticed the fuse boxes are too hot to even touch, plus some discoloration which appears to be from the heat build up. I had the electrician that set it up take a look and he wants me to talk to them and figure out more about the fuses. He ran some basic tests like checking the 3-phase.

I've not been running it out of obvious concern and its really cutting into our production. Any leads?

Can you post a photo or two of the control panel with sufficient resolution to trace the wiring?

What led you to test the fuses?  Did something trip?  Was something not functioning or running properly?  

You are talking fuses, right?  And not din-rail mounted breakers?  If there are really fuses (does anyone use fuses anymore?) - are you the original owner - possible they were replaced incorrectly?

Here is an up close of the area for right now. I can get more once I'm back at the distillery.

I tested the fuses because one day our still would not go above 99C.  I thought that was weird, specially after the Carl rep gave me a spiel about a protein film in the still that would inhibit heat exchange and incomplete fermentations. Ended up 6 out of 12 fuses were bad. Also in the very beginning of the distillery they were going through fuses and upgraded to higher amp fuses.

I'm pretty sure I'm talking fuses, In that picture those gray "tabs" fold down and you can pull out a small fuse, round about 1/4" W and 1" L.

Yep, original owner, first used here.

Just a note, 1 week has gone by and not even a simple response from the Carl rep. 

On 5/14/2016 at 7:42 AM, jamesbednar said:

Can you post a photo or two of the control panel with sufficient resolution to trace the wiring?

What led you to test the fuses?  Did something trip?  Was something not functioning or running properly?  

You are talking fuses, right?  And not din-rail mounted breakers?  If there are really fuses (does anyone use fuses anymore?) - are you the original owner - possible they were replaced incorrectly?

20160509_104657.jpg

Just for giggles - with the power off - check to see if all the terminal screws are tight and that none of the wires are loose.

Sometimes a loose connection can arc and create an overheated component.  This was usually the cause of hot breakers in panels.

Its curious in that the location is very specific to one of those center two wires above the logo.  This does run contrary to the fuses blowing though.  That's going to require tracing the circuits.

• 2 weeks later...