How do you keep bugs away when distilling outdoors ?

Reiner

I plan on possibly distilling outdoors , however Im worried about bugs because of the upcoming summer . Is it safe to use bug spray near your mash ? Or are there better techniques to keep bugs away ?

Thanks ahead of time .

Are you worried about keeping them out of your product?  I would use a gasket with a screen through which product can flow but no solids.  Make sure your tank is buttoned up as much as possible.  You're outside though.  You wont be able to avoid them completely.  I've found that whiskey, in particular, attracts fruit flies rather well so expect your parrot to gum up with bug guts.  I believe people call that "earthy flavor!"

If you are doing close top fermentation with an airlock, bugs should not be a problem. However if you are doing it open top, porch screening material can be easily cut to fit and provide an excellent bug barrier. 

23 hours ago, rtshfd said:

Are you worried about keeping them out of your product?  I would use a gasket with a screen through which product can flow but no solids.  Make sure your tank is buttoned up as much as possible.  You're outside though.  You wont be able to avoid them completely.  I've found that whiskey, in particular, attracts fruit flies rather well so expect your parrot to gum up with bug guts.  I believe people call that "earthy flavor!"

Yup Im worried about keeping them out of my product and Id also rather not get a million bug bites . Im just worried about the chemicals from bug spray contaminating my product which is why Im asking .

1 hour ago, Huffy2k said:

Does TTB allow outdoor distilling? How would you secure your bonded area? 

There are a few distilleries doing it.  I would imagine they would have to keep the distilling space fenced in and secured with approved locks.  It could only be done year round in warm climates too.  The thought of distilling outdoors without ample insulation during a NY winter makes me cringe. 

Also, to answer OP: Apply bug spray to yourself away from the still and you'll be fine, i guess.  Make sure you're collecting into an enclosed tank and through a screen of some forms.  I suggested a triclamp gasket that has a screen on it that would be sufficient.  You wont be able to seal the still or the parrot very well though.  Some bugs are unavoidable I would imagine.  It builds flavor character!

maybe you could encase the still and operation floor with a large bug net? 

19 hours ago, rtshfd said:

There are a few distilleries doing it.  I would imagine they would have to keep the distilling space fenced in and secured with approved locks.  It could only be done year round in warm climates too.  The thought of distilling outdoors without ample insulation during a NY winter makes me cringe. 

Also, to answer OP: Apply bug spray to yourself away from the still and you'll be fine, i guess.  Make sure you're collecting into an enclosed tank and through a screen of some forms.  I suggested a triclamp gasket that has a screen on it that would be sufficient.  You wont be able to seal the still or the parrot very well though.  Some bugs are unavoidable I would imagine.  It builds flavor character!

maybe you could encase the still and operation floor with a large bug net? 

The bug net idea sounds good .  Though Im not exactly sure how that would work out .

At any rate thanks again for the answers everyone .

3 hours ago, Reiner said:

The bug net idea sounds good .  Though Im not exactly sure how that would work out .

At any rate thanks again for the answers everyone .

Build a huge frame around the equipment and run netting around it.  I imagine it like the many houses with pools in areas like Flordia that are surrounded by bug netting.  

• 1 month later...