Control state sales

Hi all, 

Would anyone be willing to walk me through the process of getting listed in control states? I'm finding it very difficult to find a clear answer as to what licensing and paperwork needs to be completed in order to self distribute to these states. 

Thanks in advance

It varies among the states. Some require you to go through a wholesaler in that state; some don't. Many require each product to have a code number from NABCA. You might try calling NABCA to see if they have any guidance. Each control jurisdiction has varying levels of paperwork, most of which ask the same questions in different ways.

• Thumbs up 1

If we are talking about control states only, then the wholesaler is not an issue.  Generally, you would ship directly to the control state warehouse.  kkbodine is correct that the rules vary.  You are going to have to contact the purchasing department for each state and ask them what you need to do to get listed in their state.  

You can find information on line about the listing process by visiting the web sites for the individual states.  For Idaho, for example, go to https://www.liquor.idaho.gov/product-listing.html.  There you will find a blow by blow description of what you have to do.  I did some work for a client a few years back and discovered that Idaho requires that you appoint an "Idaho Liquor Supplier Representative..,"  Don't know what that means?  Neither did I.  So I called them and asked.   It is a nose and grindstone process. 

A couple of quick comments:

Many states use a bailment system.  In essence, that means you consign the spirits to the state warehouse and they do not pay you until they ship them to one of their stores or to a  retail customer.  Be prepared for that.

At least two states that use the bailment system, Ohio and North Carolina, require that you get a federal basic permit as a wholesaler at their warehouse location.  Others may to, I just don't know.

The state is not going to promote the product for you and may require that you tell them what you are going to do to promote it.

I think all 17 control states require some sort of code number.  As kkbodine says, A number do use the National Association of Beverage Control States INABCA Code); some use their own.  You have to make supplication for the NABCA number for each of your products through the NABCA.

If you identify the states you'd like to which you would like to sell, you could contact distilleries in those states and ask, but I would call the state first, get its spiel, and then talk to people about how things work in practice.

• Thumbs up 1

For once i can answer Davids question.  I feel so SMRT   

Idaho Liquor Supplier Representative In Idaho in order to get a general listing you have to have a rep that lives in the state.  You can sell to Idaho without this but you will be special order.  This usually means one case at at time when requested by someone, but a listing is pallets and they stock you in all or most of the state run stores.