Preventing Theft Of Moscow Mule Mugs

Does anyone have a good protocol for ensuring that copper mugs aren't stolen from the tasting room? We hold an ID as a deposit but they're still hard to keep track of - especially at busy times when it's easier to sneak away with one. We've been losing them too frequently lately and it's quite hard to swallow when someone only buys an $8 mule and gets an $18 copper mug along with it. Any ideas how to prevent this besides doing a pat down on everyone who leaves?

The lock is tempting!!

I know $18 is high but they're hand-hammered solid copper with a fired patina and with our logo hand-stamped into them. They're certainly not the cheapest but theyre the coolest we've seen - they're also our top selling piece of merchandise. We may have to switch just selling the nice ones and using less expensive ones for cocktails. 

• Thumbs up 1

You could always do like Pat O's in the French quarter.

Charge so much for the mug, like a deposit, and if the glass/mug is returned they get their money back.  A little time consuming, but you will find most will bring the glass/mug back for the deposit.  But some will keep them as a souvenir.

Or do just what Pat O's does exactly and not tell people they can return the glass for a refund and you are ahead the glasses that are left behind by the unsuspecting (don't do this).  

Of course your cost is a boat load higher that the cost of a hurricane glass...but a suggestion.

A German bar near me has glass boots that they had the same issue with, so now they take your credit card and if the boot doesn't come back you get rang up for it. I want to say it is a crazy high price, like $100, to deter people from 'buying' them. 

• 4 months later...