Potatoe vodka recipe

jrfalcon

I have worked with potatos before. They can get a little interesting if you don't handle them correctly. To give you a good direction, can you provide some more details other than potato and 160 gal? What type of potatoes do you want to work with?(flaked, whole, sweet, etc) What type of cooker do you use? What is your heat source? I am sure that I am missing some stuff. Would love to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

We have been experimenting with pre-processed potato starch.  From our local supplier, we get a 50lb bag  (made by from Agredient) for about the same price as 50lbs of Rye Malt.  We've figured out the mashing (mashed potatoes... I'm a professional potato masher now!! Lol!!) with HTL and GL enzymes, and are getting 8% - 9% abv wash.  But just using the starch is hugely deficient in nutrients.  In fact, we're really not sure yet exactly how much nutrient to add.  We've done (4) 20 gallon washes, but each one has had it's own problems in the fermenting phase so we haven't quite nailed down what exactly it's going to take.  One thing for sure tho is the stripping runs (the hearts of them anyhow) have been extraordinarily sweet.  We're really excited to crack this nut and see if we can pull it off.  Now that we have enough for a spirit run in our 25 gallon test still, we have high hopes for something nice.

JP

On 6/24/2016 at 5:30 PM, BRDC said:

I have worked with potatos before. They can get a little interesting if you don't handle them correctly. To give you a good direction, can you provide some more details other than potato and 160 gal? What type of potatoes do you want to work with?(flaked, whole, sweet, etc) What type of cooker do you use? What is your heat source? I am sure that I am missing some stuff. Would love to help.

"A little interesting"  haha, yea like a hockey puck the size of the mash tun!!  Oh, the learning curve!