Round vs. Square Mash Tun & Fermenters

Lorenzo

Hi everyone

I'm new to distilling and pricing and sourcing essential equipment, recently received a quote for a square Mash Tun, jacketed etc.has anyone had  experience,  good or bad with the the square design for both mash and fermenters, and should I have closed top fermenters ?

I use square/cube mash tun/fermenters, but they have rounded sides and corners.  No issues, takes an extra second to scrub the corners but it's not an inconvenience.  I'd suggest the ability to have lids because it just makes sanitization much easier and shouldn't cost you much more.

I would never get anything with 90 degree corners though, that's just asking for headaches.

• Thumbs up 1

I have been using a square (Custom Metal Craft) mash cooker and really have had no problems.  Ideally the slope on mine would be a little bigger, but it works and is well priced.  Closed vs Open top fermenters work pretty much the same.  You tend to get fruit flies with open top, but beyond that I don't see much downside.  My closed top fermenters have a CIP spray ball which probably makes cleaning a little easier.  

• Thumbs up 1

I have a square mash with agitator tun and I am about to change to round

There are "dead" spots in the corners that do not get stirred enough and solids settle there. Extra stirring with a hand paddle is needed when grain is first dumped in otherwise it sits in the corners and forms a solid mass as the grist takes up water.

A much more powerful agitator could overcome this problem

We use Custom Metal Craft square jacketed totes for fermentation. They work great, they have a smaller footprint than the round tanks, and are easy to pallet jack around. The rounded corners clean fine with CIP, but even if you have tough gunk they are easy to clean with a brush.

• 1 month later...

I have both cylindronical and square totes.  Don't like squares - harder to clean corners (doable just not enjoyable) and you do have heat pockets.  Regardless of the geometry, make sure the bottom is sloped and (depending on production style) have a port to rack and a port to clean.  I prefer open top for spirits (use a net to cover like you see in shochu fermentations if it bothers you) but being able to close the manway does make it easier/safer for a CIP