Dispose of Fusel OIl (propanol, butanol, amyl).

Anyone have any idea what to do with a large amount of Fusel oils that have been rectified already, and how to dispose of them the best way. Please don't say dump it. Cant dump about 2 years worth of it on the ground!!!. Not really looking forward to having the great government hammer us with a HAZ Waste every year.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As crazy as it sounds, you may be able to sell it to a flavor company. A firm I worked for years ago used fusel oil as a starting material for a number of flavor ingredients.

In order to sell as something like starter fluid, you will probably need a very consistent product in terms of component profile, etc. Then there are all the regulations for creating, marketing, and shipping a flammable product. If you can sell it locally and privately you might be OK.

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I put it in homemade citronella lamps. Wine bottle in a sconce with a wick. Add 2% citronella essential oil. Bye bye mosquitoes. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2017 at 9:36 PM, Ross Topliff said:

As crazy as it sounds, you may be able to sell it to a flavor company. A firm I worked for years ago used fusel oil as a starting material for a number of flavor ingredients.

Fusel grain oil is a wonderful tool in a Flavorist's tool box. Natural sources of raw materials is a big deal these days. 

You might check with flavor industry raw material vendors like Sigma Aldrich Flavors, Penta Manufacturing, Vigon International, Advanced Biotech, etc. Many flavor and ingredient manufacturers have to purchase products from approved vendors so the vendors may be the ones to approach rather than flavor manufacturers. 

If this is a viable option, they will work with you on how to pack and ship since fusel grain oil is considered flammable.

Another option is to call a hazardous waste company who can pick it up and dispose of it. It's an option.

~Susan

On 1/31/2017 at 6:01 AM, Natrat said:

I put it in homemade citronella lamps. Wine bottle in a sconce with a wick. Add 2% citronella essential oil. Bye bye mosquitoes. 

That's a brilliant idea.  How does that work on the records side?  You say how much is to be discarded and then...?

Okay - go to the part 19 table of contents.  You know that fusel oil is a byproduct of the distillation processes.  Distillation is done in the production account.  Look for the production account in the table of contents.  You find:

Rules for Chemical Byproducts

19.308 Spirits content of chemicals produced.

19.309 Disposition of chemicals.

19.310 Wash water.

Follow those leads - you find:

Sec. 19.308  Spirits content of chemicals produced.     All chemicals and chemical byproducts produced must be substantially free of spirits before being removed from bonded premises. The spirits content of chemicals to be removed from bonded premises must not exceed 10 percent by volume unless the appropriate TTB officer approves higher limits. A proprietor must test chemicals for spirits content and maintain a record of such tests as required by Sec. 19.584.

Sec. 19.309  Disposition of chemicals. -  Chemicals that meet the requirements in Sec. 19.308 may be removed from bonded premises by pipeline or in containers marked to show the contents. The proprietor must determine the quantities of chemicals removed from bonded premises and keep records of removals as required by Sec. 19.586. A TTB officer may take samples of chemicals.

Remember the 10% limit.  Follow the leads to 19.584 and 19.586.  You'll find that 584 applies and 586 does not (it addresses the production of spirits as a byproduct of a manufacturing process for another product.

Sec. 19.584(f)  Materials for the production of distilled spirits. -     A proprietor must maintain daily records of materials produced or received for, or used in, the production of distilled spirits. This includes records covering ... the quantity of fusel oils or other chemicals removed from the production system, including the disposition thereof, with the name of he consignee, if any, together with the results of alcohol content tests performed on those fusel oils or chemicals ...

Sec. 19.586  Byproduct spirits production records.     Each proprietor who manufactures substances other than spirits in a process that produces spirits as a byproduct must maintain daily production records of: (a) The kind and quantity of materials received and used in production;  (b) The kind and quantity of spirits produced and disposed of; and     (c) The kind and quantity of other substances produced.

I cannot explain how 19.586 sneaks into the requirement, but if you keep the records required by 19.584, 

TTB will be delighted.

I offer this in the hope that I can encourage people to find answers in the regulations.  I did not know the specific answer before I began, but I knew there was something about it and that I probably could find it through the table of contents.  I've gone into detail to show you how you can do what I did.  It is not hard.

dhdunbar I greatly appreciate your ability to google serach.  It is truly unmatched.  However, I was more so interested in whether using a fores for bug repellent would act as an unauthorized business requiring written consent:

{19.73 (b) Other business. If the applicant intends to conduct any other business on the distilled spirits plant premises as authorized under § 19.55, the following information must be submitted with the application:
        (1) A description of the business;
        (2) A list of buildings and equipment that will be used; and
        (3) A statement of the relationship of the business to the distilled spirits operations at the plant.
        (c) Additional information. The applicant must furnish any additional information needed by TTB to determine if the application for registration should be approved.}

or if it falls under 19.459 Voluntary Destruction regulations requiring written permission on each round of fores removals.

IF 19.308 is followed, then we are required to continually recycle spirits on premise or I suppose we could dilute to 10% (although that seems like something the feds wouldn't like..).  It really doesn't seem like a "byproduct" if you are intending to discard it, although if you were to put it into commercial use it would certainly be byproduct instead of a waste product. 

Maybe we can do a little more to discuss how the rules are to be interpreted since the confusion often lies with the actual verbiage and definitions of terms as opposed to any ability to copy n paste?  I, for one, don't really have anybody within a plane flight's distance that I can discuss these things with (outside of ADI)... Hope this didn't come off too salty - it's in the air out here ;)