Disposal of grain in spent wash

BigRed

We are planning on using the grain in technique with grain ground to near flour size. What can be done with the spent wash after distillation? Seems like a lot of water and grain to simply run into drain. Does anyone have any issues with disposal? Any potential revenue?

thanks

Any ranchers around? Many will gladly take totes of liquid grain stillage. I'd be careful just dumping it down the drain. BOD is through the roof and if public works catches you you could be in for a hefty fine.

• Thumbs up 1

Pick up a few used IBCs. Rancher can return with he picks up the next. That's my plan. I'm not even open yet and a couple ranchers have already approached me about stillage. If there's a local paper, a classified posting would be a good place to start, or pay your nearest pig / cattle farm a visit in person and introduce yourself.

At least here in Indianapolis the sewer utility explicitly forbids dumping grain to the sewer. In the section on restrictions (bolding added by me):

Solid or viscous substances and/or other Pollutants which may cause obstruction to the flow in a Sewer or other Interference with the operation of the Sewage Disposal System such as, but not limited to, grease, Garbage other than Properly Shredded Garbage, animal guts or tissues, paunch manure, bones, hair, hides or fleshings, entrails, whole blood, feathers, ashes, cinders, sand, spent lime, stone or marble dust, metal, glass, straw, shavings, grass clippings, rags, spent grains, spent hops, wastepaper, wood, plastics, tar, asphalt residues from refining or processing of fuel or lubricating oil, mud or glass grinding or polishing wastes, or tumbling and deburring stones;

I do the same thing.  I picked up some used totes on craigs and just pump my spent wash into it.  Each run is around 250 gallons, after settling for a day we pump off the excess liquid.  Final weight is around 2000lbs.  I call one of several local farmers who come in a dually pickup and we use our forklift to place it in the bed.  The farmer brings the empty IBC back either the next day or when he comes for another load.  He says his chickens, pigs etc love the stuff.  When I placed the ad in craigs list I had dozens of calls about it.

If needed my local sewer dept has no issue with me sending it down the drain but they also have a new waste water plant.  Check with them first before you do it.