Rum run newbie - smoothing out the rum

Lassiter Distilling Co

We are doing our first rum runs. Overall, things are going better than expected, considering it's the first time I've turned on a still to make rum. Our first run is drinkable, but probably not marketable. 

We we are getting some off flavors in our first run. Harsh bitterness even through the end of the hearts phase. We are also getting a very pungent and voluminous tails cut. We know we are new at identifying the various cuts, so we are emptying into small vessels and testing each one for flavor, aroma, and other characteristics to train on what we like and don't like. The tails make up at least 30-40 percent of the total run.

We reflux for about 30 minutes and then drop the flow to the dephlegmater slightly to allow the vapor to pass to the condenser. We are running a 160 gallon stainless steel still with copper elements in the column (10 perf plates), dephlegmater and condenser, and we are learning the best ways to use it but any tips on smoothing out the spirit a bit would be helpful. Any thoughts on getting the bitterness out?

Hmmm. I wonder what you are doing at fermentation.  What are you fermenting? Molasses, what grade? Panela? Cane sugar? What temps are you fermenting at? Do you use nutrients?  These all have an effect on flavor.  Lower grades of molasses can give bitter off flavors.  Do you strip first or do a single run?  How much are you collecting for heads?

My rum is sweet and with a slight fruit finish.  I cut the heads deep, and the tails very early to keep it very clean, so to me your cuts sound about right for the tails.

• Thumbs up 2

Thanks, Tyson. I'll give you a call to chat.

Stillwagon, we fermented our first batch on a combo of blackstrap molasses and unrefined cane sugar at 92F per yeast manufacturer's specs, maintained throughout the ferment. Fermented in a 275 gal IBC open this first time. We did add nutrient for this first batch, but have since read it may not be necessary on molasses ferments. We did not adjust PH, but will be adding the stillage from our first run to our next ferment to increase acidity. We did a single run for the first run, collected a good amount of heads - about 20 percent of the run. We collected in small, quart sized increments so we can go back and train/ avoid contaminating hearts until we know what we're doing a little better, so the heads aren't mixed with the hearts right now. 

Maybe we increase the ratio of sugar to molasses. We are also doing an all undefined cane sugar wash which should be done in the next day or so, so maybe that will tell us more about what works best. 

I strongly recommend nutrients as molasses is generally void of any. Simplest would be some dead yeast cells (cheap bread yeast boiled to deactivate), B complex vitamins crushed and DAP.  Backset will help with pH but you'll want to keep and eye on it so it doesnt bottom out.  Sounds like you're taking the correct tails cut but are tails are never 40% of the total take. More along the lines of 20 - 25.

Ok, update here. We ran a second batch last night, and it turned out much better. I am thinking the off flavors were machining oils left over from fabrication. Hard to know for sure, since our recipe was much different this time, but we are running a similar recipe tomorrow that should help us nail it down. 

27 minutes ago, iskiebaedistillery said:

Did you do a cleaning run (or two) on your still and a sacrificial run? If you didn't, there is a good chance there is left over residue from production and polishing. 

We did two cleaning runs, one with water, the second with vinegar. Though unintentional, or first ethanol run turned out to be our sacrificial run, a term that I had not heard until now, but absolutely love. Things are much better tasting now.

• 1 month later...

Ive had wonderful results with Fermaid K (no affiliation, just a happy customer)

Bitterness can be caused by scorching and some bacterial infections.  pH is inportant to keep in check - sugar washes will crash due to the lack of buffers, but it may also indicate a contamination if pH starts creeping up again. 

Try caustic (koh or pbw) for the pot and citric acid (food grade) on your copper plates - unless you have scorching up the column 

Welcome to the game btw :)

• Thumbs up 1