66 to 122 gal. automated GENIO Still

GENIO

Our 66 to 122 gal. stills range in price from USD $10,120 to $18,150.

Our stills have the following advantages:

Automated distillation runs through touchscreen computer display and ability to save up to 6 distillation runs for future production

- Full manual control with ability to observe temperature, pressure, power consumption, etc. during the entire process

Two principal distillation options:

• Pot still mode (70 to 150 proof) for flavor rich spirits such as whiskey, brandy, rum, gin, etc.

• Reflux still mode (190 to 193 proof) for vodka or neutral spirits for subsequent gin production

Additional options:

• Jacketed tank for on the grain distillations

• Agitator

G_250_1_small.jpg

66 gallon GENIO Still 250

G_250_15_small.jpg

GENIO Still column with copper basket and touchscreen color display computer

To see full list of options and capabilities, please visit our website at:

https://g-still.com/shop/

We have showrooms in USA, Canada, England, Poland and Australia for anyone wishing to see our equipment in action.  Our contacts can be found at the link below:

https://g-still.com/contact/

Cheers,

GENIO

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Our GENIO 250 still is running like a champ and putting out some great vodka.  It has also made us some awesome Rum that is ageing as I type this.  Looking forward to the arrival of the new 250 liter jacketed mashing/stripping still later this month.  Can't wait to see what other great innovations are in store for the new year.  I will post some photos when the new equipment arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos of our forthcoming jacketed MashStill. It is a combination mash tun and still which we will use for mashing and stripping to start as we are already using the existing GENIO 250 still for vodka, Rum and Whiskey.  The large manhole will be great for cleaning after mashing and the duplex columns allow for a center positioned agitator (missing from photo) which will give us some amazing mashing results.   This MashStill is fully automated and electrically fired and will be set up and used at our distillery in upstate NY.

Mashstill.jpg

Mash still.jpg

• 3 months later...

Do these systems require a boiler and glycol chiller?, Are they just directly heated electrically?( what voltage, 3 phase, etc...)... If the quality of product is good, then these seem to be incredible value... Who else is using these in their distillery?, I'd love to see one in action.

Thanks

@Yidakimason, these systems DO NOT require a boiler or glycol chiller.  This system is heated using three electric elements which heat up food grade heat transfer fluid inside the jacket which surrounds the tank.  The power requirement is 18kW, 210-240V standard phase or 3-phase.  The oil in the jacket is cooled using a Cooling System, which is used to reduce the mash temperature for subsequent yeast pitching.  The Cooling System requires either a cold water source or a glycol chiller, but a glycol chiller is not required.  Attached is a picture of our Cooling System, which includes a high temperature pump for pumping heat transfer fluid from jacket, another smaller pump for pumping cold water or glycol fluid and a heat exchanger.  The smaller pump can also be used to recirculate cold water stored in totes, to reduce water wastage during cooling.

We have GENIO systems setup on all continents (except Antarctica), therefore please DM us or email us at info@g-still.com to obtain references and further information.

58f991720d445_CoolingSystem(small).jpg.77a7a4bed7543030d6947403dc5604f1.jpg58f9926b0e045_MashTankandCoolingSystem(small).thumb.jpg.a08955ceb8210be916efe27c34c925ef.jpg

• 4 months later...

I am planning on sourcing my whiskey wash from local breweries.  Would I need a jacketed still for this?

How many gallons of water is used for one run on the 50 and 100L still?  Would I be able to set up a tank solely for cooling and reuse the water?

Do you have gin baskets for the two smaller stills?

Hi @Bibi,

Since your wash from the local breweries will be clear (no solids), then you will be fine with a non-jacketed still.

You will be able to setup a tank for cooling water.  The size of the tank will depend on the amount of alcohol you intend to distill during a run (more alcohol proof in a still the longer the run will be), the ambient temperature of the distillery and few other factors.  Email me at ca@g-still.com to get more into technical specifics including costs to do distillation runs from an electrical consumption perspective.

We do have standalone gin columns for the smaller and larger units now as well.  Picture attached of the larger gin column sections, which are easily removed using tri-clamp connections and built-in column lifting mechanism.  

59a4bb2cb686c_GSTILL250500GINColumn.jpg.fe0608d5fe5f606b24b235715fa3dc0e.jpg

Cheers,

Team GENIO

Thanks!  I sent you some additional questions to your info@ address as well.  Since they may be of interest to others on this forum, I include them here as well:

1. I am planning on sourcing my whiskey wash from local breweries.  Would I need a jacketed still for this?  (the answer is NO)

2.  How many gallons of water is used for one run on the 50 and 100L still?  Would I be able to set up a tank solely for cooling and reuse the water?  (See my question #5)

3.  Do you have gin baskets for the two smaller stills?  YES

4.  Do your stills operate on atmospheric pressure?

5.  How many whiskey runs could I do in 24 hours if they ran back-to-back, and how much product would be yielded at, say, 130 proof?

6.  Is there a Genio still in operation anywhere near me?  I am in Oregon.

7.  What sort of training and ongoing support do you offer?  If my still broke down, who would fix it?

• 4 weeks later...

@wardwater, here are the answers sent to me .

1. I am planning on sourcing my whiskey wash from local breweries.  Would I need a jacketed still for this? 

No need for jacketed still for clear washes.

2.  How many gallons of water is used for one run on the 50 and 100L still?  Would I be able to set up a tank solely for cooling and reuse the water?  (See my question #5)

The cooling water requirement is difficult to be approximated, as there are many factors that impose water supply parameters, for example:
- incoming water temperature,
- cooling water pressure
- the alcohol strength of the batch in the tank,
- type of distillation (190 proof or Pot Still mode),
- the length of the discharge hoses,
- room temperature
e.t.c.

Based on our testing, the following water consumption was observed:
Genio 50 direct heat, alcohol strength in tank 15% - 16% alc/vol.
Watching the flow of water all the time (minimizing the flow by adjusting the water inlet valve) and keeping the peak temperature between 33°C and 40°C

Within 4 hours and 25 minutes of the production process, approximately 240 liters of water was consumed (53L/h).
However, this result was due to the continuous MANUAL water flow control (minimization of water consumption).

3.  Do you have gin baskets for the two smaller stills?  YES

Standalone GIN column.

4.  Do your stills operate on atmospheric pressure?

Yes, operate on atmospheric pressure.  There is nothing pressurized in the still.  It also comes with a pressure sensor which compensates for changes in ambient air pressure, which is especially important when still operates at higher elevation (mountainous regions), as boiling temperature is lower at higher elevations due to change in pressure.

5.  How many whiskey runs could I do in 24 hours if they ran back-to-back, and how much product would be yielded at, say, 130 proof?

For a 50L directly heated still, the heat-up time is 1 hour.  Column stabilization time is set by the user, but we recommend minimum 15 minutes.  Alcohol production is 2.5 L/h and that is at 190 proof equivalent, therefore 3.6 L/h of 160 proof.  If you place 50L of 20 proof alcohol into your still, alcohol production time will be approximately 2 hours and you will get a total of ~7L of 160 proof.  Keep in mind that portion of that will be removed as your heads and tails, so your hearts cut will be a smaller amount and it will depend on the distiller's preference.  Therefore, assuming you do consecutive batches, back to back, of 50L at 20 proof initial strength, it will take you approximately 3.5 hours to distill.  Now add 0.5 hours for drainage and refilling, lets round to 4 hours.  In a 24 hour period, you could do 6 distillation runs, going from 300L of 20 proof wash to 56L of 130 proof, of which you may decide to keep between 50% and 75% as your hearts and remainder you could redistill into neutral alcohol for some other purpose (gin, liquors, vodka, etc.).

6.  Is there a Genio still in operation anywhere near me?  I am in Oregon.

There are Genio stills in operation in Washington, Montana, British Columbia and Alberta.  We will be in Red Deer, Alberta September 20th to 24th installing a GENIO Mash Still 500 for a brewery that is venturing into distilling now.  Another one was just delivered to Victoria, BC last week.

7.  What sort of training and ongoing support do you offer?  If my still broke down, who would fix it?

We can arrange to visit your distillery to provide hands-on training or we can also provide assistance through telephone, Skype and email.  It just depends on our client's preference.  If something was to breakdown, we would courier a part to you using UPS Air right to your distillery.  All components on the still are very easily removable and you just need the following tools to be able to take the entire still apart: flat head screwdriver, philips head screwdriver, 10mm, 13mm, and 17mm wrench and a pair of pliers.  Therefore very easy to replace anything on the still and we would provide assistance over the phone or Skype if required.  Our stills come with a 2 year full warranty, but if something was to fail from normal use after 2 years, we would still fix it as we are in the business of having happy customers.

We have parts inventoried in Canada, Europe, Australia, and the USA.  If for any reason we couldn't get a part to you from one of our Reps we can have a part expedited from Poland where the units are made.  If by slim chance any repairs might need to be made it can be done by the distillery and if needed with the assistance of myself or other reps via Skype of phone.  All of our reps are only a phone or Skype call away.  Our service and support is second to none.  I use this equipment every day in my distillery and have been for the last two years so I can attest to its reliability.  When we were asked to become reps for this amazing equipment we jumped at the chance and haven't looked back.  

As we grow our own distillery along with the GENIO showroom and training center we welcome any and all visitors that are interested in seeing this equipment in action.  My Canadian counterpart is also available at his distillery and GENIO center where he also uses his equipment every day.

CHEERS from GENIO USA!

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 8:42 AM, Ward water said:

BRoot thanks for the info. My biggest concern with any of the automated stills is downtime and who's going to fix them. 

Did either of you end up purchasing one of theses systems and if so how's the process going?

I went and looked at a still in use. It's a nice piece of equipment and that distiller, who is using it for brandy, loves it, reports no problems. A distiller who may come to work with me is looking at the specs now to satisfy himself that it can be used satisfactorily for whiskey. He likes it so far but is reserving judgment until he talks to another distiller who is using it primarily for whiskey.  It definitely can do the job for high proof Spirits.  I will keep you posted. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I use two of these devices. I do make vodka with them and it is an excellent product. I do a stripping run and then a spirit run. I push these stills to the bitter edge on a daily basis and they have held up OK. They are however, like European sport cars when the run they run great, when they fail, you're dead in the water.

We are an all malt distillery.  We have both the stripping version which is a bain marie and spirits version which is direct fire.  They are both 500 liter.  We make both whiskey and Vodka.  In our case it is not being accomplished in one run.  The stripper is a bottleneck for us.  We are thinking of removing the packing from the column and adding a larger condenser to increase throughput.  You need to be aware that the throughput numbers on the Genio web site are for a 25% wash whereas ours is less than 10%.  The stripping run takes over 10 hours with a 8-10% wash.

We make vodka on an old iStill250 with the upgrade Genio column. Second what Skaalvenn said, makes good vodka but VERY slow. We run low wine strippings of about 30% ABV through it and if we fill it to the top (close to 250L), the run times are 16 to 20 hours. On the positive side, once you take a few front cuts, its essentially fully automated so you don't have to make any adjustments while its running (we still keep different cuts but its largely unnecessary). Good kit just very slow.