DSP permit info help

ralphie513

I am ready to apply for my TTB permit. How far along with the building that will be the distillery should I be before sending in the application? It is an older building in need of work. The place is not junk but needs work. I own it free and clear. The main thing is it needs the old concrete floor removed and replaced with a nice one with a drain.  So at what point is it the correct time to apply for DSP.

While many people will apply before the distillery is operational, what the CFR says is that it should be ready to operate (as described in the application). But what the TTB does in practice is just require that it be in that state by the time your permit is granted. Of course, since they may not physically inspect, how would they even know that? But you must have all the info you need to complete the description of the premises in the application. Since you plan to distill, you need a still, and since the still must have a serial no. (as well as other items, like larger tanks), you will need these numbers when you apply. If you are purchasing the still, and it is under construction for you, the manufacturer can provide you with the serial number in advance, so you don't even have to be in possession of the still when you apply, just have it under construction (like the distillery itself).

It was my understanding that your building should be nearly completed before you applied for your DSP.  While we waited until we were almost done, I have heard from many others that it is not necessary to wait that long.  At a minimum, you should have a complete set of drawings showing all areas of your planned DSP as well as a complete equipment list (serial number for still's, number/capacity of spirit tanks, fermenters, etc).

I'm retired from TTB and worked my entire time at the National Revenue Center (NRC) here in Cincinnati in the Distilled Spirits Section. In 1999, when I started working for TTB's predecessor agency, ATF, the NRC processed about 4 craft distillery applications for all 50 states. We all know about the exponential growth that was soon to begin. I answered many incoming phone calls from folks inquiring about the DSP application process. I would tell them that their premises should be "essentially complete" before submitting their application. An ATF Inspector was assigned to conduct a field inspection on all of those early applications. Most DSP Basic Permits were issued within 30-60 days.

Processing times certainly have changed since my retirement from TTB. The most recent statistic shows 184.82 days for a DSP Basic Permit. One might say that a 6 month processing time is an impediment to business. I am an independent consultant now and I advise clients to get their application submitted 6 months before their premises are completely built out and ready for production, processing and/or storage of distilled spirits. You should have most of your major equipment ordered when your application is submitted. Try to get the serial numbers from the manufacturer. If they are not available yet, or if any equipment will not have a serial number, assign a serial number yourself.

The best advice I can give folks is to check with all zoning authorities and fire departments to ensure that they are good with your proposed DSP premises and operations before signing a lease agreement or purchasing the premises.

• Thumbs up 1

Ditto to what Bluefish and Lang said. Make sure your local stuff is handled. We had (and still have) great support from the town we are in, but their inspections prior to operations are much more thorough than the TTB's. We got our DSP in 30 days (with Lang's help, BTW), but our building inspections took much longer. 

That being said, we had our lease signed and all major equipment (tanks, still, scales, etc) either in place or well on order at the time we submitted our application. Worked out great for us.