Wineries, Brandy & Distilleries - What's legal in California

gordon

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but will give it a shot.

Does anyone know what the rules are with regards to producing brandy for wineries in California?  What can we (distilleries) legally do for them and what can a winery legally do with the brandy that is produced? 

Assuming the winery does not have a distilling licence, but has the license required to do TIBs with a distillery:

•    Can a winery age brandy on their premises?
•    Can a winery bottle the brandy themselves?
•    If not, can the producing distillery bottle for them?
     •    What would label requirements be?
•    Can a winery sell brandy made from their wine?
•    Can a winery provide tasting samples of their brandy?  (I don't believe they can.)
•    Can the producing distillery sell (and taste) the winery's brandy (if agreeable with winery)?

Thanks,
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I did someting just like this with a winery in central cali. Now with that said I was not a part of the legal conversation the owners of the company participated in I just distilling the brandy. 

Can a winery age brandy on their premises? No, it must remain in your bond
•    Can a winery bottle the brandy themselves? No, it must remain in your bond
•    If not, can the producing distillery bottle for them? Yes
     •    What would label requirements be? See COLA for requirements, will vary based on spirit type
•    Can a winery sell brandy made from their wine? Yes
•    Can a winery provide tasting samples of their brandy?  (I don't believe they can.) I dont believe so
•    Can the producing distillery sell (and taste) the winery's brandy (if agreeable with winery)? Yes

Again, this is only from my experience on the production side of a distillery with what I did. My advice is to consult legal before you jump into it