Materials handling

Eric

Do you find that you need a fork truck when just starting out?  

Any tips for finding a safe low cost way to move barrels and other materials?  

Bottles, GNS for gin, grain, finished product (distributors require pallets?), do you need a truck dock?

thanks!

The lack of a fork truck makes it hard to move material. You can get lift gates for deliveries but they are an extra cost and are often not provided when requested.   Had that happen yesterday.  Luckily it was a small shipment. 

A simple pallet jack can be used to move materials once off the truck.   They are only a couple of hundred $$ or you can rent one if needed. 

I receive materials in my basement and the ceiling height is too low to have a fork lift.  In addition,  we have a garage door,  not a loading dock.  I bought a pallet stacker for my material handling needs.  A pallet stacker is basically a pallet jack with a hand/ foot operated hydraulic lift that allows us to receive pallets off trucks without lift gates as well as raise palleted loads to a height of about 5 feet. I will still request lift gates for very heavy loads though as the maximum load is about 2200 lbs.

• Thumbs up 1

16 hours ago, captnKB said:

Yes without a doubt you have to have a either a forklift or a level loading dock. A forklift would be the better of the two options to have

I agree with this a lot. It is going to depend on, to some extent, the amount you are producing, the building you are in and your process. I can't imagine not having both a good dock with leveler and a forklift for our operation, but I could see some situations you might be able to get by with just a palletjack and a dock. Just a forklift can unload a pallet or two off a truck with no dock, but I think it would be a pain for a full truck. A palletjack is an absolute must no matter the situation, but they are pretty cheap.

I would rather have just a forklift than just a dock.  That's how I did it for 5 years.  Is it fun to unload 21 pallets of empty bottles off a trailer without a dock?  No, but doable with a pallet jack and forklift in about an hour, by myself.  Actually, for the first two years I borrowed my industrial neighbor's forklift when I needed it.  

Anybody using something like the Crown Stacker/Walkie?  Seems like it would be much easier for jockeying barrels/bottles around than trying to maneuver the forklift in tight spaces.  Seems like some of the new ones are good to 2500-3000 and go over 12 feet.  Our forklift is a little on the big side, because of posts and floor layout, not always the easiest.  Pipe dream?  Are they really more maneuverable?

If you don't have a loading dock, and no forklift, drivers are going to hate you.  I remember the days before lift, when a barrel shipment came in.  No lift gate.  We ended up breaking down the pallets in the truck and huffing it, barrel by barrel.  I can't imagine a couple of skids of bottles.

Pallet jack - also a necessity.  Thing is always in use.  You could probably bust your ass and maybe get by without a forklift, but you'll never get by without a pallet jack.

2 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Anybody using something like the Crown Stacker/Walkie?  Seems like it would be much easier for jockeying barrels/bottles around than trying to maneuver the forklift in tight spaces.  Seems like some of the new ones are good to 2500-3000 and go over 12 feet.  Our forklift is a little on the big side, because of posts and floor layout, not always the easiest.  Pipe dream?  Are they really more maneuverable?

If you don't have a loading dock, and no forklift, drivers are going to hate you.  I remember the days before lift, when a barrel shipment came in.  No lift gate.  We ended up breaking down the pallets in the truck and huffing it, barrel by barrel.  I can't imagine a couple of skids of bottles.

Pallet jack - also a necessity.  Thing is always in use.  You could probably bust your ass and maybe get by without a forklift, but you'll never get by without a pallet jack.

I've been trying to find a stacker/walkie that goes over 3000  without success. Our fermenters are stainless pallet tanks and I'd really love to transfer into the still by gravity so that I only have to wash 1 short hose instead of 2 hoses, a pump and all the fittings. Space is already becoming an issue where we're at so a forklift really isn't an option

I've worked at two distilleries which didn't have fork-lifts, and it leads to a lot of unsafe and time-wasting work. Between lift-gate fees and screw-ups (shipment arrives, no lift gate, has to make return trip delaying production 3 days), and the time sink of breaking down and reassembling pallets the forklift pays for itself very quickly.

We've been getting by with lift gate service (haven't had issues with drivers yet - recommend ABF and Top Shelf Logistics for freight there) and a pallet Jack, though I will say the drivers complain when we get big deliveries. A forklift isn't an option where we are - doors aren't tall enough and I don't think we have floor space in any case. Like Skaalvenn, I'd love to find a stacker with 3000 lb capacity, but no luck so far. Our 2.5 ton pallet Jack is an absolute necessity - everyone should have one. 

• 10 months later...

Hi

Yeah forklift is better one

Forklifts with simple operation and maintenance are what all forklifts certification dealers can guarantee. Proper and regular maintenance is essential for ensuring a long service life, and it is very important for keeping the machine in a good working condition. Most forklift manufacturers today provide a full maintenance and preventive maintenance plan.

Stay safe :):)