Hello from Pittsburgh

Hi all! I have been lurking here for a while. Figured I would sign up formerly and say thanks for all the info I have learned to date. It's been really instructive at realizing how much more I need to think about before I jump in. 

I'm interested in starting a distillery in the next couple years. I've volunteered at several local ones and have loved it. I've done homebrewing before. I'm also building a nice library of books on the subject. 

I work at a large manufacturing company during the day. I'm big into Lean and Six Sigma methodologies. I may not be able to help anyone with brewing/distilling advice but I can definitely help out with process change and improvements. Seriously - If you haven't read up on Lean it's incredibly good at helping companies do more in less time.  If you aren't familiar with Lean this series of videos does a great job of explaining and showing it in action: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU0OXtC1xSvZsIiLBdQopaA (I have no affiliation with the company, just appreciate the videos)

Again, thanks everyone. I hope that I can provide help and value back to you guys as you have already provided me!

Hey Foreshot!  Welcome to the forum and good luck with your distillery startup!  We are in Washington, PA and have been operational for a few months.  I'm a big believer in open dialog between craft distillers so if there is anything I can do, or if you'd like to stop by and see what we're all about, don't hesitate to reach out.  

Slainte'

Jim

Actually Foreshot, the ADI recently ranked PA as one of the top 6 "most favorable" states in the country in terms of the laws on the books for craft distillers!  Act 39, which took effect last month, moves PA even further up the ladder in my opinion.  

Act 39 really helps out the craft people, I think it will hopefully spark the industry. 

Did you see this? I don't think it will happen but if it does that would be a huge deal. It probably would effectively kill off the state stores. It's at least a glimmer of hope I could get a better selection of Scotch and other liquors without having to go out of state. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2016/09/21/legislator-introduces-bill-to-allow-licensees-to.html