Odin

Odin on Gin

29 posts in this topic

Congrats to Listoke Distillery on their distribution success! Now available on 12 duty free stores at airports around the world ... and coming to Manhattan just after summer.

https://www.facebook.com/odiniStill/notifications/?section=activity_feed&subsection=share&ref=notif&target_story=S%3A_I692746780%3A10154258360526781&content_id=1570209363020046

Regards, Odin.

Hello Odin!

After reading this thread over half a dozen times, we're ready to start our gin trials soon! The information you've provided definitely has me feeling more confident in our starting point. I hope you are doing well and we're looking forward to your posts regarding herb bills and barrel aging!

Regards,

Odin, I've followed you and your business for years with great interest, mostly on the Artisan Distillers forum, but I'm greatly impressed by your depth of gin knowledge. I've done a boiler-infused potstilled gin for years, and have had very good reception of it, but I could never figure out all of what customers like about it, at least until I read this thread.

I use no truly unusual botanicals, no eye of newt here, and macerate them in 50% spirit distilled on site from mostly Washington State barley malt, which satisfies our Washington Craft Distillers license restrictions. I do the actual gin distillation in a smaller essence still, which produces a gin concentrate which we later dilute with the same spirit we macerate in. In my opinion, and the opinions of our tasters and customers, our gin seems "brighter" than most other gins, and I believe the flavor spectrum is full, from front of mouth to back. Although that's in part from the botanicals bill, what you've said tells me that some is also due to maceration/stilling ABV and range of collection temperatures, although I do not do a "heads" cut on the essence run.

I'm happy to hear you're not a louching nazi. Our gin sits right at the edge of louching, and can sometimes go from clear to hazy and back again, depending on (I'm guessing) ambient temperature. At any rate, in our literature I describe the tendency to louche as the result of an abundance of flavorings, and the addition of water will cause strong louching such as is happily associated with Pernod or absinthe. We sell our gin in clear glass, and do not "hide our light under a bushel".

Thanks so much for this great thread, and I'm glad you're keeping that same goofy avatar.