Sealed Shaft Bearings

HedgeBird

Anyone have any suggestions on a sealed shaft bearing (and housing) that would be suitable for use on a still.  This would be used for the addition of an agitator shaft to the still.  Looking for options in the range of 1/2" to 1" shaft size.

At this point I am not even sure I am using the correct terms to search for.

Call Brawn mixer. I'm very satisfied with my new agitator from them.

My local Brawn rep was Bill at Winger Inc. http://www.wingerinc.com/  He's been doing mixers for over 30 years and really knows the mixing industry and even more important--distillery mixers.

I would steer clear of MXD/Mixers Direct--they will gladly take your money and give you something which should never go on a still.

30 minutes ago, HedgeBird said:

I will keep them in mind.  

At this point I am really just looking for the shaft bearing or shaft seal or whatever you would call the thing that keeps a spinning shaft from leaking liquid and/or vapor!

They might be able to sell it as there's really only a couple parts to an agitator.  A shaft, blade, gearbox, motor, and seal/bearing.

SKF.COM

Look at something like a bevel lip fluid seal.

If you are trying to retrofit something, you may need access to a machinist to be able to make a suitable seal/bearing combo for the seal.  Most of these seals don't necessarily provide any stabilization of the shaft - without it the seal would be destroyed relatively quickly.

https://www.johncrane.com/~/media/J/Johncrane_com/Files/Products/Technical Specification/Seals/TD-32D-2PG-BW-OCT2015.pdf 

(don't no costing fot this beast!!)

a seal is easy....a complete system----not so much

Nord Gear has some nice systems for supporting 90 degree geared down motors with downloaded shafts.....the rotary seal is the mystery.

I own a bunch of CARL stills but "they" go dumb when asked to supply this system.

Looking of a rotary seal for a small tri-clamp mounted mixer.....may as well join Elon on his quest to Mars!!

Automation direct has your motors, your driveshaft ends with keys, and your 90* gear boxes. A few parts from McMaster Carr, if you need tri clamp add ons for your connection. Get you one of those mechanical seals I mentioned, and find a good buddy who tig welds for booze and your done for less than 1k. I'm installing this exact set-up on Wednesday as an upgrade to a lip-seal set up that I was sold that is garbage. Mechanical seals are pretty darn simple once your looking at it in your hand. Dehners recommendation with the packing looks promising as well. IMHO   If you really need help selecting parts pm me.