TTB Monthly paperwork

jrfalcon

Just got my dsp permit 2 weeks ago, have not set-up yet, but are there any books or phamlets that will explain in simple words on how to fill out all the paperwork, I know after a while I will understand it, but for now its all greek [ no offense to the greeks ]

The principal problem with completing TTB operating reports is understanding how TTB uses words and the rules for how the spirits flow through the accounts that TTB requires you to use, creating an "audit trail" of the operations you conduct, from the materials used to the products shipped out the door.  You have to have a basic understanding of operations and transactions take place in each of the three accounts that you report - production, storage and processing - and also understand what TTB means by the terms it uses, like redistillation and tax determined, the differences between packages and bottles, etc, and when you take and report physical inventories as opposed to when you report book inventories.  

The problem with instructional sets, and any attempt at simplified pamphlet, is that any set of instructions (or records database for that matter) is going to have to include all possibilities for entries you might have to make to record any possible operation or transaction in which any DSP might engage, even though most DSPs do not engage in most transactions and small DSPs usually engage in darned few.  

The forms are imposing because they have all those cells in to which you might have to put information, which creates doubt and second guessing, but if you eliminate the products that you don't make and the transactions and operations in which you don't engage (few remove spirits to a customs bonded warehouse, for example, or for use by the United States),  you get a whole lot fewer cells into which you might need to place information.  Thus reduced, the task becomes far less daunting.  The more daunting task is determining what records you must keep to capture the information, but again, ignoring what you don't need is key.  Often a simple set of analog, pen and pencil records, suffices.  Other times, if you engage in many activities, a database makes sense, if you can afford it.

I know this does not answer your question, but I hope that it explains a way in which you can approach the problem and gain some assurance that what you are doing is what is required.  I keep threatening to do a set of separate modular instructions for recording and reporting  vodka, gin, whiskey, rum, brandy, and specialty items, etc, but haven't found the time or energy to do that with the rigor that would be required to make sure that all possibilities are covered for each product, or how to market the darned things to pay for the effort it would take.  It's far easier to respond when a client asks, "How do I report my vodka production when I do it by redistillation of neutral spirits I buy in totes?"  When I have specific info, the answers are easy, which is just a restatement of what I said above, you simplify first, then dig out the answers to the specifics.  

• Thumbs up 1

if you search through back issues of Artisan Spirit Magazine there are articles detailing how to fill out your monthly TTB forms. Its not all the info you need but enough to get you started.