101 questions

Chip

Cheers All-- I have enjoyed perusing through many topics, I'm on "information overload" just now!  Great topics and answers/discussions.  I/We are starting a small batch gin distillery this year-- presently shopping locations, submitting license applications, etc.  Our plan is to start with one 300-500 gal still and grow from there, we may start with two.

Q. What are the pros/cons of copper/stainless per a Gin Still?  (whiskey=copper yes, but gin?-- stainless ok?) Also, what type of stainless, 304 or 316? (keeping Gin in mind)

Q. How long to distill Gin? (I know let it rest for 5-6 weeks after distillation/bottling)-- correct?

Q. We will infuse a couple indigenous botanicals-- pros/cons for basket, basket placement inline, (ever use 2 basket placements?) 

Q. Type of Still "Set-Up"?  Continuous . . . other?

I have many other questions, however, I will continue to search here and else where-- thanks for your assistance.

Chip

"enjoy the journey"

First question would be is this gin from GNS or are you making it?  If from GNS I think you gin still could be smaller than what you are planning on.  304 stainless should be fine.  I really like the idea of multiple gin baskets, but it is not necessary.  It could be cool though to turn off different botanicals at different points in the run.  You can just as easily do a separate distillation for each if you want.  I would think a batch system is just better because of cost and easy of setup and use, but I don't have experience on a continuous.  The how long part is really up to you.  I would say that I think gin is very competitive so just keep this in mind in your volume projections.

3 hours ago, Chip said:

Q. What are the pros/cons of copper/stainless per a Gin Still?  (whiskey=copper yes, but gin?-- stainless ok?) Also, what type of stainless, 304 or 316? (keeping Gin in mind)

Generally your GNS will be pretty clean before making gin ( or any other ethanolic extract).  Stainless is just fine.

3 hours ago, Chip said:

How long to distill Gin? (I know let it rest for 5-6 weeks after distillation/bottling)-- correct?

Not sure what you're asking. You'll want to take a heads cut. Ensure you have fixatives in your bot mix.  We distill, bottle, and sell ASAP.

3 hours ago, Chip said:

Q. We will infuse a couple indigenous botanicals-- pros/cons for basket, basket placement inline, (ever use 2 basket placements?) 

If you're doing this for marketing purposes have at it. If you think it adds a distictive flavor conduct a well-controlled experiment.  If there is a statistically significant impact, run your financials. If either makes no sense, don't do it.

3 hours ago, Chip said:

Q. Type of Still "Set-Up"?  Continuous . . . other?

Batch.  Run the number and don't let the romance of producing your own GNS trump the financial impact of doing so.  Remember, GNS is an ingredient, not a product (although there are many ppl drinking this ingredient)

Remember, unless you are independently wealthy, you need to see positive cash flow from whatever you do.  Eschew all romantic notions. Run your business as a business.

Thanks Jeff, Indy & Odin-- I appreciate the answers/suggestions/input. We are at the threshold for making these decisions so we can continue to move forward. A quality GNS will be our choice, perhaps flirt with making our own later. We have money, of course we want to start ASAP, but want to start with a firm direction to avoid too much adjustment once producing.

We are open for any direction/suggestions you may deem important for a start up. Thanks again for the input-- we will keep you posted on progress...and of course ask more questions! Cheers

34 minutes ago, Chip said:

We are open for any direction/suggestions you may deem important for a start up.

Double your budget. Don't anticipate drawing salary for two years.  Know your market. Don't be fooled into thinking distributors are your friend.  Realize you're a marketing company first, and distillery second.

• Thumbs up 1